Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML55, 2001 S500, 2007 R63
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently installed Depo Projector headlights on my 2000 E320 that I bought new off ebay for $190 shipped. While the headlights and front bumper were off, I installed H7 HID lights in the headlights and H1 HID lights in the fog lights as well. Overall I think the headlights really update the car and makes the car look newer. I also added the chrome gauge rings as a small touch. I am now just waiting on a set of OEM 18" AMG Monoblocks to arrive and I'll have my car looking the way I want it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,583 Posts
H7 HID, and H1 HID...how does that work? Or are these merely halogens with a Xenon tag on the package. I mean do they have ballasts and ignitors...and high ignition??

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
H7 HID, and H1 HID...how does that work? Or are these merely halogens with a Xenon tag on the package. I mean do they have ballasts and ignitors...and high ignition??
They are real hids with ballasts. They are rebased h1 and h7 bulbs for use with ballasts. I love the new lights however as discussed before in previous threads, the beam pattern on the projectors could be better and that's why a lot of people retrofit projectors from acuras in these depo headlights. The hids in the foglights really put out a lot of light so it makes up for the poor beam pattern of the projectors. Overall I'm happy with the headlights.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
They are real hids with ballasts. They are rebased h1 and h7 bulbs for use with ballasts. I love the new lights however as discussed before in previous threads, the beam pattern on the projectors could be better and that's why a lot of people retrofit projectors from acuras in these depo headlights. The hids in the foglights really put out a lot of light so it makes up for the poor beam pattern of the projectors. Overall I'm happy with the headlights.
Thanks for the reply. Mind sharing where you got all the supplies?

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,107 Posts
i did similar with the headlights but i opened it up and slid in bixenon projectors from
an E55. i wanted a light spread and focus to have more precision that that provided
by the halogen projector that came with the clear lens headlight.

to protect the outside clear lens, I applied a thick clear film. dont remember what
model - it could have been XPel or 3m or some such. will help protect it from road
particulates bombarding it. the film was touted to possess magical UV shielding
qualities.

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,098 Posts
I saw these for sale at Calstar MB in Glendale right behind the counter, I couldn't believe it!

Most dealers don't/won't sell aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
2000 Black E320 4Matic
77 Posts
Looks good man, I did the same thing to my car and it really updated the look.
How was installing the chrome gauges? Was it difficult?

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,583 Posts
i did similar with the headlights but i opened it up and slid in bixenon projectors from
an E55. i wanted a light spread and focus to have more precision that that provided
by the halogen projector that came with the clear lens headlight.

to protect the outside clear lens, I applied a thick clear film. dont remember what
model - it could have been XPel or 3m or some such. will help protect it from road
particulates bombarding it. the film was touted to possess magical UV shielding
qualities.
I presume you mean a W211 E55?

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,583 Posts
Interesting. Do you have any pictures of the pieces before you installed them?

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
The beam pattern from the DEPO replacements that I used was acceptable, but after awhile I replaced the projectors with a set from a C-class sold on ebay. Much more satisfied with the MB beam pattern from the C projectors. Moderately difficult to retrofit new projectors into the DEPO buckets.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply. Mind sharing where you got all the supplies?

All from ebay..

Depo projectors $189 shipped
H1 and H7 HID kit's with ballasts $60 shipped (they were $30 each for the entire kit!!)

For those who think that the $30 HID kits are worthless, I've had the same kits running in my previous BMW and Audi for a couple of years now with no problems. I have them in my ML55 as well to with no problems as well. Bright and reliable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good man, I did the same thing to my car and it really updated the look.
How was installing the chrome gauges? Was it difficult?
Probably one of the easiest mods to do. Took about 10 minutes. Pull cluster out, depress 5 tabs on the outer most shell, snap in the rings and reinstall.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts