Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bored with plain old gray.

So I went to the local bodyshop supply place and bought a can of SEM Napa Red vinyl dye. Spoke to the guy who runs it (casual acquaintance) and he gave me tips for using it on vinyl, plastic, leather, and carpet. Doing one of the rear ashtrays right now (small disposable test piece, easy to find a new gray one if I fail) and it's coming out great. Hope the color goes well with my refinished wood, since I stained it a much lighter color than stock. Might have to restain it, no big deal. Unfortuatly, my friend's car was stolen, and my digital camera was in it, so I'm unable to take pics right now. Maybe I can borrow the girlfriend's tomorrow, we'll see.

·
Registered
2007 E350 Black/Tan
136 Posts
I am interested in seeing the end results!

Post pics when possible!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 500SEC
110 Posts
Hey. I'll be doing that soon. Except that i will get a workshop to do. Tried it once with my friends 380SE and we realized that its not that advisable. Looking to change interior color to white - cream, like those in the new S classes or E classes. =)

But thats not for a few more months.

TechGuy420SEL- if ur interested i think it costs around $750.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC
940 Posts
are you doing the headliner and floormats too??? i'm also curious to see the outcome.

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chances are I'll be buying new floormats in the correct color from the dealer. The I'm going to do the headliner mushroom, because that's what was stock with the dark red interiors (I believe). If anybody has pics of this sort of interior, let me know.

·
Premium Member
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
for i moment i thought you said you were gonna borrow some girlfriends...and i was wondering if i could get in on that....

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the ashtray came out amazing, it looks so perfect and stock. Tried scrubbing it off with soap and water, the dye stayed on. Tried scratching it off with my fingernail, it didn't scuff! I had my doubts, but now my only concern is fading over time. No big deal, I can just re-dye it.

Also, it didn't leave any red residue on the towel after I used the soap and water. My girlfriend was really concerned about this as sometimes she likes to wear lighter colored clothing, and didn't want the seats giving her big red marks.

But we can't find her old digital camera yet, so no pics. Sorry!

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like I'm ordering 100 sq ft of fat mat (like dynamat but cheaper because it isn't dynamat). Figure I'll have the interior out of the car to dye it, why not insulate it?

·
Always Remembered RIP
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
I'll be really keen to see the result! I guess you haven't had adhesion problems on different types of surfaces yet?

What brand of dye is it?

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts