Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1999 cl600. I have just noticed that there seems to be a fairly loud vibration sound comming from the left side of the engine block. (I could be wrong about where exactly it's comming from.) The noise sounds like a loud vibration. Almost like a fan hit something. But the fan isn't the problem. Also it doesn't sound like a lifter knock. It's more like a vibating sound.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
On my 1999 cl600. I have just noticed that there seems to be a fairly loud vibration sound comming from the left side of the engine block. (I could be wrong about where exactly it's comming from.) The noise sounds like a loud vibration. Almost like a fan hit something. But the fan isn't the problem. Also it doesn't sound like a lifter knock. It's more like a vibating sound.
Could be any of the belt driven pulleys or accessories on the front of the engine. The bearing on my tensioner pulley rusted out, and the pulley was cocked so far to the side from the belt tension that the pulley was contacting the engine making a continuous metallic rattling/ringing sound. My AC compressor pulley has similarly bad bearings and is "floppy" causing a lot of excess noise. I need to replace it but just haven't had the time. Big job to access the AC compressor. On that side of the engine, there is also the power steering pump and its pulley (or the tandem pump if you have the self-levelling rear suspension). I would remove the belt and manually try to wiggle all the pulleys to see if any are loose. Then, I would start the car and run it for a minute with the belt removed to see if the sound goes away. If so, the problem is definitely one of the pulleys or accessories. Don't let it run for long since the water pump won't be operating without the belt.

Brett

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I am just hopeing it's not something inside the block. I'm getting ready to drive from Houston to Virginia Beach (24hrs :( ).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved. After the 24 hr. trip to va. bch. I replaced the alternator no more noise. I guess the alt. was just on it's way out.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
phew i was hoping it wasnt the problem i had a few months back with my plug blowing out of the cylinder head...thats a problem you DONT want...werent you selling your 600?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still have my car for sale, but not really trying hard to sell it. I don't look forward to the day it is gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts