Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 LE
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as I left my driveway this morning the car started beeping and the brake warning light was on. As soon as I stop the beeping stops but the warning light stays on. The car seems to think my ebrake is engaged but it isn't. I tried pulling it up and down thinking it may recongnize that the brake was down but with no luck. Is the sensor bad or could it be that the ebrake is no longer disengaging? Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
The manual says the brake light will also come on if you have a low brake fluid level. You may have developed a leak in your brake system. Have you checked the fluid level? If that is at the proper level I would try putting the car in neutral and giving it a push to see if the brake is really engaged or not. You definitely don't want to drive it if the ebrake is not disengaging all the way. Does the ebrake handle feel normal? If the cable was broken I don't think it would. I don't know how the sensor works but I would guess that is the problem if the brake is really disengaged and the fluid is OK.

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 LE
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked the fluid and it is right below MAX so it should be fine. I pulled the car into my slanted driveway and put it in neutral and it rolled freely. I can also feel the brake engage when I pull it up. It seems it must be the sensor. Any ideas what sensor and how to fix/replace it? I know where the wear sensor is but have no idea where the handbrake sensor would be. Could it be in the center console or is it in the brake itself?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts