Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the plugs and MAF on my 97 W210 because the car was hesitating on take off. Once those were replaced, the hesitating stopped...now I get sputtering at idle and at the beginning of take off. I didn't do the wires yet, but just ordered them this morning as one of them hada crack in that lil foam part. Also, that wining that come from the fan when it comes on...I hear that going on and off sometimes. Before, it used to come on for a period of time in the morning, then go off. Now, it comes on and off through my driving. Any suggestions? I'll keep you guys updated once the wires get here.

·
Registered
97 E320, 04 230K, 06 R500
189 Posts
Start with changing the wires then move to the MAF.............make sure the MAF wire connections are fasten tightly. Have you changed any of the coils??

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Can we back up? How many miles on the car? Did you check for codes or just start replacing things? Where did you get the MAF? What process/tool did you use to remove the wires? Did you go with stock plugs or something else?

More details will help the process...

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
06 CLS500, Boeing-737, 04 Tahoe LT, 04 Infiniti G35 Sedan
257 Posts
I agree with Greg. Get the codes. That will steer you in the right direction.

That little whinning sound coming from the fan area during cold start is the secondary air pump. Its electric. Its supposed to come on for about 90 seconds, then shut off. Then in a few more seconds it will recycle again for about 15 seconds. It pumps cold air into the exhaust to help with emissions. If it comes on during normal temp engine operation there could be a problem with it. Again get your codes.................

Good luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
91 560SEL(RIP),98 E320matic 230k baby!,98 C230,93 500Ehurt,Rover crawler,97 Vulcan,01 R1,02suzukiTLR
55 Posts
Be sure that the first start up wining is the fan, sometimes is could be your smog pump and not fan if you hear it for a period of time at first start especially in the morning. Kinda sounds like the hum or wine of a quite vacuum cleaner and that would be quite normal.

·
Registered
1997 E320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not change any coils, only the plugs and the MAF. I got the MAF from importtec.com. The plugs are the original ones. I didn't get the codes yet, I'll get them checked tomorrow before I go to work and report back. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
F8DC4 copper

plugs and new connectors from autohausaz,com.
Do you have a check engine llight on?Have you changed you o2 sensors?
:bowdown:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts