Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300sd
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 1984 300sd with 234k miles. Before I start spending on this car I wanted to go over it to see if it was worth restoring.

It is hard starting (3 cycles in the morning) and has a ping that I think is the injectors. Slow from a start but plenty of power on the highway.

Change oil and filters. Pulling and testing glow plugs and doing a compression test.

Removing the injectors and going to clean with Seafoam in a ultrasonic cleaner.

Also going to check and clean the banjo fitting on the intake manifold.

I figure this should give me a good indication how the engine is doing. Later I plan on replacing the plugs and the injectors.

Question: Can I connect the injector to the line outside of the engine and then turn the engine over to see the spray pattern?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,767 Posts
Please see your other thread on how to search the forum, and DIY .....
Cheers

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL
186 Posts
OK well i have loved these cars. But I always wanted a 300 sdl. But I am glad that is not what I ended up with this time. I bought a 420 SEL.

Where I am diesel is running 4.68 a gallon. The car would have to get 50 mpg to counter act what I pay for gas now.

It is a shame that diesel is less refined and cost almost 45% more. To me it wasn't worth it. And I can rebuild a MB, VW or a BMW diesel in my sleep. So depending on where you are and what you paid you might have just lost money.

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
The Gov't is Tax Gouging on diesel fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts