Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just acquired a 1993 300D, and I love the car,:D I am willing to do some work on it.
The body is in good shape only a bit of surface rust . but there is smoke coming from the dip stick and oil filler cap, I have been told I need new piston rings.
So my question is, how easy is it to fit new piston rings ? can it be done without taken the engine out of the car? , like underneath the car through the sump . as I think this would be a cheaper alternative to buying a recon half engine .

·
Registered
676 Posts
i think that it is possible... i think its possible if you do it through the sump and all you do is unbolt the rods on the crankshaft and pull them out.... i think the more difficult part for the I6's is putting them back in... because of the X-member is crossing right underneath the pan... you would need to keep the piston rings snug with the piston so its easy to put in... i would imagine you do this on the lift... they arent known to go bad though... don't really know about the diesels though... just dont get knocked in the head with that heavy ass piston!

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,454 Posts
No matter what you do

Its gonna be a pain any way you go. Pull the head drop the pan and push the pistons up through the top or a reconditioned engine youll have to buy all new seals and tranfer gear from 1 to the other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its gonna be a pain any way you go. Pull the head drop the pan and push the pistons up through the top or a reconditioned engine youll have to buy all new seals and tranfer gear from 1 to the other.
thanks for this advice it might be a pain but it will be worth it

·
Registered
1 Posts
how to replace piston rings, 1990 190e 2.6

Hi I have a 2.6 1990 190e and , before that I didn't have much problem but oil usage and ruff idle at stops, then I did the valve seats (bushings) what ever there called. Now I have spark plugs fowling out every other week I do take them out and buff them down so that I don't have to keep replacing them. Every person that I have talked to said that the rings are bad. I don't know exactly how many miles the engine has on it cause it was replaced and or rebuilt and was a crappy job at that. The gauge says 60k but no one put the update on the door of the car mileage. So.... I have pulled the head cleaned off the pistons and head, I have also pulled the pan bolts but I can't see a way to get the pan out so that I can pull the pistons and replace rings. How would I get that done. And if someone could help me find the torque settings I will not have to ask that again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts