·
Registered
1990 560-SEL
57 Posts

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,097 Posts
Looks good. Are they chrome wheels or highly polished? Either way they look great!

·
Registered
2007 E350 Black/Tan
136 Posts
What a ride! That's the way to do it!

Hey, are you going to paint the grill? That would be a finishing touch!

My Benz is a 1991 420sel black on black, so I can see a perspective of my car's future by looking at yours!

The photo quality is quite detailed! Nice![:D]

·
Registered
'91 560SEC
940 Posts
Yeah, definetly an awesome looking car.

Did you paint the headlight wipers yourself?? I like the look of color matched headlight wipers, and i think i may do that to my car aswell. [:)]

·
Registered
Smoke Silver '87 560SEC, Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,583 Posts
TechGuy420SEL - 4/14/2006 7:14 AM

What a ride! That's the way to do it!

Hey, are you going to paint the grill? That would be a finishing touch!

My Benz is a 1991 420sel black on black, so I can see a perspective of my car's future by looking at yours!
D]
And my 560SEL is an '87, that needs some TLC to look as good as yours! Nice goal you've presented me.

·
Registered
None
738 Posts
Very nice 560!

You did an awesome detail job!

T

·
Registered
1983 300SD,2002 ML500,(MBCA Member)
961 Posts
Nice car very nicely pictured.
I have the same question as prochambers:
Are your wheels chrome or alloy?
How did you get this shine?

I have beens struggling with my alloy wheels to get the brake dust caking.

Yes, black out the grille and your car will look still newer.

·
Registered
1981 300SD, 1976 300D
978 Posts
It's beautiful!

I agree, you should paint the grille black. I'm also curious to hear if the wheels are polished, I have the same rims with fair-to-poor finish, would like to shine it up a bit.

Tucson-style: it's the new trend (see tucson-sailors and Jammerkiller's 126s... you're only a black grille away!)

·
Registered
1990 560-SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello again,

Thank you all for your wonderful and generous comments, your all very nice to say such great things. Painting the grille black may not hsppen as I really want to preserve much of the factory look. You all can't imagine the hours of work it takes to keep this car looking this way . . . then again perhaps you can. As far the wheels I sanded them down to raw aluminum with 80 grit then worked up to 1000 grit. The factory finish is nearly impossible to remove, there are special bonding agents keeping the paint on the wheel and also serving as a breathable surface. Then the long hard process of special rubbing compunds and polishes. Each wheel took 40 hrs to complete. Since they breath very well they require constant care but I do not mind that in the least. If you wish to do the same for your wheels please remember it could be one of the most intense projects you may ever want to do from a laborous stand point but long after your hands, arms and back are feeling better you will reap the benefits for years to come. Thanks again guys. -Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
Very nice job! But come on, want to keep the car original by polishing the wheels and painting the headlight wiper arms? The screen is less than $20.oo US and you can switch back anytime you want.

Take the plunge, the high contrast of the grill and trim stands out even more with the blacked out grill.

I've had it on my black SEL for about 10 years. Take a leap of faith, it will only hurt about $20 bucks.

Regards,

·
Registered
'90 560SEL
2,551 Posts
That lovely car reminds me of money..'old' money.
Back when our cars were new - and when AMG 'add ons' were for only the flashy types - this is how and why the w126 styling was for the (then) 'executive' few.
It looks magnificent black560sel! [:)]

·
Registered
97 Ford Scorpio Cosworth
702 Posts
looks really great, but forgive me if i say this, add some euro headlights, paint the inner grille and replace those bright corners with some smoked ones and the car is PERFECT.

just my 2cents though...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts