Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey There,
Today, I purchased a solid and straight '70 280SE Sedan. It has the FI 6 with the automatic. The car is rust free and runs very well but I do have a few concerns.

I have some slight oil dripping from the oil pan area as well as below the transmission. Not sure if it is due to the car getting minimal use in the last few years. Probably gaskets giving out but could it be something else?

When the car shifts it is a sharp shift (hard and jerky) Is this normal? Also, I think the car is shifting early from 1st to 2nd. What are some good ways to make sure the automatic is shifting where it should?

I'm excited about owning this classy classic and looking forward to years of enjoyment. Thanks for any info and please let me know if any of you are in the Minnesota area.

Thanks.

Scott
"Helga"
1970 280SE Sedan

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
Helga - 5/3/2005 9:56 PM

Hey There,
Today, I purchased a solid and straight '70 280SE Sedan. It has the FI 6 with the automatic. The car is rust free and runs very well but I do have a few concerns.

I have some slight oil dripping from the oil pan area as well as below the transmission. Not sure if it is due to the car getting minimal use in the last few years. Probably gaskets giving out but could it be something else?

When the car shifts it is a sharp shift (hard and jerky) Is this normal? Also, I think the car is shifting early from 1st to 2nd. What are some good ways to make sure the automatic is shifting where it should?

I'm excited about owning this classy classic and looking forward to years of enjoyment. Thanks for any info and please let me know if any of you are in the Minnesota area.

Thanks.

Scott
"Helga"
1970 280SE Sedan
Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase! My fiance, our two benzes and I live in Brooklyn Park.

Your oil leaks do sound like some old gaskets. As for the shifting, my 280E shifts early too when in "D". However, when in "S", the pattern is more aggressive. The rough shifting sounds like a vacuum issue. I have found over the years, though, that shift quality is very subjective so if you get into an older Benz after, say, a 2005 Town Car, it will probably seem too rough.

I pm'd you my phone # if you wanna get together and talk old Benzes or something. There are damn few of us old benz drivers in Minneapolis and most are dieselheads.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts