Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'99 230
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just bought a 43000 miles '99 SLK230 in the UK, so thought it would be prudent to say hello to those who I will no doubt be asking stupid questions too for the foreseeable future.

If anybody could give me any clues as to what to look out for in the first few months of ownership I would be grateful.

I previously owned a '83 230e and have racked up 187000 without any problems at all, so hopefully I can look forward to the same again (but with a bit more style)

Cheers.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
there are a ton of new owner post's on the board if you search for them. Especially in the past month or 2.

You will want to keep an eye on your rear tail lights they tend to go out. The roof will stick sometimes. interior cracking is a big problem with the slk.

there are a ton of small things. Make sure you make your service appointments on time. Keep your rain ducts clean.

There are so many. We are here to help man so post away and welcome to the boards.

--Deatherage

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
TexasUK - 2/23/2005 4:45 PM

I previously owned a '83 230e and have racked up 187000 without any problems at all, so hopefully I can look forward to the same again (but with a bit more style).
I also had an '83 230e for 3 years while I was stationed in Germany. Just got the SLK last month. Definitely more style but the 230e really was a solid sedan. Had it up to 200km/hr (about 125mph) once on the autobahn. It would have gone faster but was "floating" so I decided that was enough. Would cruise all day at 160km/hr (about 100mph).

Congrats on the SLK. Other than reading the owners manual (there are a few interesting things in there), if everything is working now don't worry about the issues everyone else has had. When something comes up do a search here and if you can't find what your looking for ask. There are a bunch of people here who know a lot about the SLK (not me).

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 LE
196 Posts
TexusUK, welcome to the forum. There are several well known problems with the SLK and many little ones. The main ones are below:

C-Pillar Rub issue
Peeling interior
Brake light arcing issue

Do a search and you'll find many previous postings on these subjects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts