Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes-Benz 300E
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an '88 300E today for $1000. Runs fine, drives just as smooth and tight as my IS300. Everything seems to be working fine for the most part. Just have a few questions about the cost of a few parts, as well as an actual engine problem I've already noticed.

Question 1 (the serious one) - I don't know much about cars, but something with the acceleration and how it almost dies if you come to a dead stop and try to take off reminds me of when the fuel pump on my Cadillac went out. Is this a normal issue for an '88 with 180k miles on it? I found a trick to keep it alive, which is to step on the brake and just -barely- press the gas to idle it around 600-700 RPM, and then when the light goes green...I can take off no problems and the car feels fine. When I take it to a shop, what should I be looking for so I don't let the mechanic fist me with extra charges? Fuel pump/filter/lines clogged? I noticed when I got onto the highway and tried to punch it, it didn't really get up and move as expected.

Question 2 - The A/C doesn't work. Like....Just completely does not power on at all, not even the fan. Most likely mean a fuse needs to be replaced?

Question 3 - Rear windows aren't operable. Also could be a fuse? Or something else?

Other than those couple of issues, the car runs very well. I don't feel a single bump in the road, the motor is dead silent and I hardly even notice it's even on lol.

Oh....and I wish neutral and drive weren't so damn close together...I don't know how many times I've backed out of a parking space already today and tried to take off in neutral lol.

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,694 Posts
Do a good tune up 1st wires,rotor,cap,oil,fuel filter,and look for vacuum leaks (any loose or cracked vac. hoses or any wires dis-connected) Then start spending money on repairs.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes-Benz 300E
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do a good tune up 1st wires,rotor,cap,oil,fuel filter,and look for vacuum leaks (any loose or cracked vac. hoses or any wires dis-connected) Then start spending money on repairs.
Word, any idea how much something like that would run me at a shop? I seriously know nothing about cars other than how to drive it from A to B lol

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
Please be aware that the fan motor on the AC is designed to delay a bit before spinning up... and may take a few seconds to get up to 'full speed'... particularly when conditions dont require it.
An easy way to test for sure is to turn it on then press the UPPERMOST fan button... it will THEN come up to speed right away if it is able.
If not, there are more-than-a-few reasons why it wouldnt... but that's for later! :D

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes-Benz 300E
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please be aware that the fan motor on the AC is designed to delay a bit before spinning up... and may take a few seconds to get up to 'full speed'... particularly when conditions dont require it.
An easy way to test for sure is to turn it on then press the UPPERMOST fan button... it will THEN come up to speed right away if it is able.
If not, there are more-than-a-few reasons why it wouldnt... but that's for later! :D
Doesn't come one :( Just....silence lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts