Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My wife and I are new owners of an CPO '09 CLS550 - Flint Gray with 12k miles. It is mint/new condition and looks, drives feels fantastic. As a new owner, I am somewhat unfamiliar with everything with the car but the dealer went over stuff for about 2 hours with me after the purchase.

I was just curious if there are any specific things I should do or need to do for this car. The car came with just about every option (including AMG package), but didn't come with a spoiler or illuminated door sills - which I hope to do aftermarket or through the dealer soon. Are there any specific tweaks, upgrades, or changes I need to make to anything?

·
Registered
CLS 550
888 Posts
Great! Welcome! As far as tweaks upgrades and changes go are you talking performance-wise or aesthetically? Or did you find something that you don't like about your CLS? I know I've had mine for about 5-6 months and every drive is still a pleasant surprise, haha. Aesthetically, with your AMG body kit, maybe think about a front spoiler..? It gives it a little more aggressive/lower look from the front. Here's an image...

http://www.cksperformance.com/mercedes/Product_Images/Bodykits/C219 CLS55 Frt lip Carbon.jpg

Other than that the AMG package is pretty well set up. Even your wheels I'm assuming are AMG, which are more aggressive looking than the normal CLS wheel. So unless you want to throw some wheels on it I would say that you've done well thus far considering how nice the AMG package is. If you want to get your rear wheels wider you could think about spacers to add a little sportier look.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the greetings. The front spoiler looks cool but I may have issues at the garage I use at work (others have similar issues at the garage). I really like the car with the AMG kit and wheels...it really makes a different. I do wish that it was with the 19" AMG wheels though but I know that would be an expensive purchase aftermarket to get them. What do you think about the AMG spoiler? I have seen AMG 'style' spoilers online but they don't quite look the same. The dealer wants $780 painted/installed for one which is a little much. I like the idea of Illuminated door sills and I wish the car previously came with them. Dealer wants about $1k parts/installed for just the front doors (they said the rears aren't available anymore). I saw a full set at mymercedesdotcom but i have read many mixed reviews on the forums. LED interior light upgrade may also be nice but i'm not sure if they're worth it (price and potential frustration if they don't work right with the vehicle system).

Performance wise, I wasn't sure if there was an upgrade for the air intake system or aftermarket air filters that I should be using. I have also heard about computer tunes to gain some HP but i'm not sure it's worth the $$. I also have to get use to the gas pedal because it really seems to lag when I accelerate from a stop. I've heard about the sprint-booster but i'm still skeptical about that. What do you guys think?

What do you think about my upgrade ideas?

·
Registered
CLS 550
888 Posts
I totally forgot to mention this yesterday but lowering the CLS is a VERY big difference-maker when it comes to the overall sportiness look of the car, you can do lowering springs, get an Electric Control Module (kind of expensive, but they're plug-n-play and fully adjustable), or ask your dealer if they'll lower it using Star Diagnostics. I've heard that the dealer can do it for free and it only takes 5 minutes!

Ok, my opinion on the AMG spoiler for the CLS or any spoiler for that matter, is that I'm not a big fan. The reason for that is because of how the CLS's body lines are. It hugs the ground from every angle, front rear and side. My buddy dubbed the nickname "The Cockroach" because of the sleek, swooping body. In my opinion, a spoiler does not compliment the CLS's "Cockroach" look because every line on these cars are soft and smooth, giving it a very aero-friendly look, so much so that it makes spoilers look pointless.. To me that is. But oif you like them go for it. Thats just one man's opinion lol.

I like the Illuminated door sills but for me, that's something that I can live without. It takes nothing away from the CLS, only adds a neat styling cue. If you feel that it's worth the dollar do it because they definitely are pretty cool. Also, I'm not sure where, but I think you can find them aftermarket that go all the way to the back. Cheaper?... No clue lol.

I have the LED interior lights and they are awesome. It's like the light of day when you turn them on at night and with my all black interior it makes finding things on the floor board or center console soo much easier. They are worth the dollar for their functionality.

Performance wise, I've heard that the intake already on the CLS' are good to go, but can be upgraded with carbon fiber tubing (attempting to keep the intake air a little cooler) and also, like you said, upgrading the filter ins't a bad idea at all. The performance tuning for the ECU can also be a bit expensive, but if you do intake and exhaust, getting a tune can really take advantage of the extra air-flow, yielding 30-40 HP and possibly a little more in TQ.

All in all I'm sure you've noticed the performance of the 550 does not disappoint lol. I love it, it makes saving the extra cash for the mods easy..

·
Registered
18 Posts
When you need tires, Michelin Pilot Sport 3's are definately the way to go. My '09 came with Pirelli P Zeros and I found them to be pieces of crap. But these new 'made for Mercedes' PS3's are truly the bomb. Got 'em from Tire Rack for just over $1500 delivered. Then I shopped for a local trusted installer (another hundred). I too have the AMG Sport Package so 235/285 18s are the correct replacement. I cannot overstate how fab these tries are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts