Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Germany and just bought a 1993 190E 2.0 for my wife and the car didn't have an owner's manual, although it had every other manual. I ordered one from the dealer, but it will be six weeks before it arrives. In the mean time, I have a couple of stupid questions if anyone cares to take pity on my and answer them.<br> <br> 1. There is a toggle light switch on the upper left side of the instrument cluster that does not appear to do anything. What is this for?<br> <br> 2. The manual that came with the factory cassette/radio player tells how to use the CD function, but doesn't say where the CD deck is. When I press the CD button on the radio, No CDC appears on the display. The manual says this is because there are no CDs in the cassette. I assume it is also possible this message appears if there is no CD deck. Was the CD deck an option? Where would it be if it were installed?<br> <br> 3. The front and reat tires are the same size (185/65-15), but different manufacturer (Bridgestone and some no-name). They also contribute considerably to the road noise at autobahn speeds and I would like to replace them with. What are the pros and cons of 185 vs. 215 (or 225) series tires? The German title lists these two series as possibilities. I have 255 series tires on my BMW 525 and am very pleased with the ride, but want to make an educated purchase. Any suggestions?<br> <br> 4. At city speeds (about 50 km) there is a slightly noticable whine from either the transmission (5-speed) or drive shaft when letting off of the gas pedal. The whine goes away once the car starts slowing down. Is this normal?<br> <br> Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me.<br> <br> Mike

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can only answer what I know

Toggle switch???<br> CD changer is an option on US models.Your car is<br> probably pre wired for a CD changer.Usually it is <br> mounted in the trunk at the right hand side.<br> Pros and cons.Tires.<br> 185-Yield better gas mileage,less rolling resistance.Sloppy handling.<br> 215-Better handling than OE rubber,wider footprints=better handling but might not work w/<br> OE wheels.<br> Whining:Run your car at a steady 40mph.then shift<br> ton neutral.If whining continous,Its the diff.<br> If went away,Maybe,trans or driveshaft.<br> <br>

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I can only answer what I know

I switched to 195/60/15 on OE wheels. Big improvement in handling, and the snow driving is still acceptable. Unfortunately, I chose a T rated tire (Yokohama Avid T4). InGermany, I would choose a V or Z rated tire. I would not go beyond 215/55 size (plus 0 upgrade, like mine), or your wet traction will suffer (hydroplaning). I hope you are considering slight lowering of the car for autobahn driving... ;-))

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses!!!

Even though she is German, my wife is better adapted to stateside driving than Autobahn speeds. She doesn't hesitate to take my BMW for short bursts at 200 KPH, but spends most of her time at 120-140 KPH. Maybe she will change now that she has a car that will perform better. I'll hold off on any drastic changes to the body or chassis until she is more comfortable with the speed.<br> <br> I guess I will have to change the radio for a CD player. The tires will be changed this week to the 215 series.<br> <br> I still can't find a purpose for the rocker switch.<br> <br> Mike

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Thanks for the quick responses!!!

I'm seconding the toggle switch answer<br> its the light in the backseat in the center.<br> re tires, i upgraded to 195/60/15's with <br> bridgestone Turanzo Revos and I love them<br> I wish I could go to 205's simply for that wide<br> foot print.<br> <br> good luck<br> ssb

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to SSB

SSb, I see that turanza revo worked out for you. How was it in the snow? Why can't you go to 205's?? I'm thinking of Potenza RE 950 for my Mustang (but I could not do zero plus upgrade, they don't make 225/60/15 potenzas :-(() and Dunlop sp2 sport for the Merc. However, I noticed a longitudinal crack in the Dunlops on the Stang, and that happened to me way back in the 80's (including a blowout of front tire at 85 mph, but that's a long story). Would you recommend turenzas for the $$$ ??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.