Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CLS w/ AMG pkg
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assumed MB would have a state of the art navi system but based on what I've been able to figure out so far, I'm very disappointed. My 7 year old Lexus didn't have voice activation but so many other features were better than what I have now. For example, when you arrived at your destination, you were told if it is on the right or left side of the street. Sounds like a little thing but when you're on a 4 lane road, it really makes a difference. When the Lexus told you to get on a freeway, it always told which direction. Twice in the last week, I needed to get on a freeway and if I wasn't in my home area, I would never have known what direction to go in. The Lexus had a route preview. I was told the MB navi does not. Those are just a few of my gripes. If I'm incorrect about any of these features, PLEASE let me know. I'm hoping it's me and not the car. Thanks. :bowdown:

·
Registered
2006 CLS55 Pewter/black
30 Posts
My 06' CLS55amg does have a route preview. Don't know if your newer cls is the same.
On my system you go to the info menu. Press route soft key. The map will
display.

If you then press the 'list' soft key, a list of roads will appear.

My navigation sucks. Took me an extra half hour to get to Phila. last week from the Poconos. Returning home, it sent me a completely different way which was an even longer way.

Not to mention, if I deviate from the route given, it doesn't re-calculate. It just keeps prompting me to make a u-turn. Because I couldn't cancel the route guidance voice, I had to listen to the b..ch all the way home.

Supposed to cancel the voice prompts by pressing mute for 2 seconds. Doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
CLS 320 CDI
71 Posts
Dear clbieder ,
I'm not surprised reading your post. I already wrote something here
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w219-cls-class/1440293-nav-system.html
about the navi. I think they continue to develop maps and software in a wrong way, in a wrong direction.... They should throw away everything and restart from the beginning.
I don't understand why they don't give a glance to other systems like Never lost on Herzt cars, that I found fast, precise and above all clever.
An 8 years old VDO system(Germany) is much better in every detail. I hope you have the possibility to enter the a specific destination number of the selected street. If not, I imagine what can happen in short streets like .... Sepulveda or Wilshire . In some cities, my navi offers a goup of numbers (i.e. from 1 to 115 !!) and not a specific one. In some other cities you cannot enter the number at all.
I have already got my idea about recent MB..... not only for navi...

·
Registered
2006 CLS55 Pewter/black
30 Posts
In fairness to Mercedes, I just realized why it sent me the long way to my
destination.

I inadvertantly had the setting 'Avoid toll roads' checked.
When I pressed the nav button on the turnpike, after previously having the destination set, I was immediately directed off the turnpike :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I assumed MB would have a state of the art navi system but based on what I've been able to figure out so far, I'm very disappointed. My 7 year old Lexus didn't have voice activation but so many other features were better than what I have now. For example, when you arrived at your destination, you were told if it is on the right or left side of the street. Sounds like a little thing but when you're on a 4 lane road, it really makes a difference. When the Lexus told you to get on a freeway, it always told which direction. Twice in the last week, I needed to get on a freeway and if I wasn't in my home area, I would never have known what direction to go in. The Lexus had a route preview. I was told the MB navi does not. Those are just a few of my gripes. If I'm incorrect about any of these features, PLEASE let me know. I'm hoping it's me and not the car. Thanks. :bowdown:
I have a 2011 CLS 550 also and am stunned by the obsolete extreme user unfriendliness of the navigation system. My German NAVIGON ($60) on my iphone runs circles around the installed system. Its so cumbersome and therefore dangerous that I will probably not use it but rather put velcro on my iphone with NAVIGON and put it on my steering wheel. What a picture you run around in an 80K car and cant use the crappy navigation system. I definitely think this is even enough cause form me to look at the japanese and BMW and Audi in 2 years. Its just disappointing to get a low end system in a beautiful and very expensive car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Crappy Navigation on 2011 CLS 550

I have a 2011 CLS 550 also and am stunned by the obsolete extreme user unfriendliness of the navigation system. My German NAVIGON ($60) on my iphone runs circles around the installed system. Its so cumbersome and therefore dangerous that I will probably not use it but rather put velcro on my iphone with NAVIGON and put it on my steering wheel. What a picture you run around in an 80K car and cant use the crappy navigation system. I definitely think this is even enough cause form me to look at the japanese and BMW and Audi in 2 years. Its just disappointing to get a low end system in a beautiful and very expensive car.
frausch is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
2010 CLS 550
12 Posts
The navigation system in Mercedes is pathetic. It will send you in a very round-about way and gives poor prompts. As they say... "get a Garmin" for $250 and you'll get good navigation. They need to take their crappy Navigation out and just give everyone a Garmin. It's also very cumbersome to use.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts