Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450SLC
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, i just got my 74 450SLC and it needs a bit of work, mainly most of the rubber has died of old age and neglect. What i would love is a place in australia that i can get parts for my slc that is in a reasonable price range, i know i can get them all from the local merc parts place but they charge like 300% just for the name :mad: .

The parts i need atm are just replacement rubbers for the doors/windows. Also my father was saying most of the fuel air mix ratio is controled by this largeish vacum unit on the engine, anyone know what he is talking about and if replacing it would make much of a difference to the car seeing as i think nothing major has been replaced since production :).

Also seeing as i just bought the car is there anything i should look at?

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts

·
Registered
'79 450 SLC
456 Posts
Well if you want a lot of local knowledge I'd suggest joining OZBENZ forum! :: Index The forum sponsor is in Canberra MB Spares & Service, Australia's leading Mercedes-Benz website and offer reasonable prices even a discount if your part of the forum (mabye). I think the prices for the door window seal is around a bit over $100 a side cause mine needs doing. They may have reproduction seals in america which are cheaper but arent worth it due to average quality. But in Australia most stuff is sourced straight from Germany. Not too sure about fuel air mixture, yours is electronic (I think), mines mechanical. First thing too look for is rust and leaks around front wheel arches front rear window, rear quarter leaks boot, sunroof if you have it. Basically everthing should be looked at. Mechanically, if the previous owner(s) serviced it every 6K miles it could go for many more miles. Do the basics first like spark plugs, oil changes on engine diff trans and get a basic tune up, there's another member from melbourne that should know a place. And even a high pressure radiator flush. Other problems may come up, but hopefully they won't be serious. Info on mileage, condition, owners and pics would be great. and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
450SLC
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool i ll try that forum out :), as to more info on the car i dont really have it, the guy i bought it from got it at a international auction in UK and the mileage is off cause the meter has stoped recording o_O. I have done the basic stuff, sparks oil etc and it handles and drives really well, just got to make sure its doing its best :)

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
Well havin just about finished doing it, I have to say look for and attack any rust you can find. Cuz it's cost me over $3000.00 US already.:crybaby2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts