Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys..
Just bought this toy and theres a 100 things on my mind that i want to do...

First...
Rear suspension is self leveling and there is a clunk/thumping noise while going over bumps.

Second...
Factory stereo seems nice, but i'm sure theres a lot of room for improvement...
Mainly has anyone tried to replace the rear 6.5" subs with 8" ones ??
Also will upgrade the deck to something with navigation.

Third...
I believe the door close assist is not working, but the reverse "wands" come out along with the trunk lid handle that folds in and out.

Fourth...
Drivers head rest is not working, i hear the motor turning but no movement.
is it an easy fix ??

Fifth...
Previous Owner mentioned of poor heat in winter... what should i be looking at ??

I will be doing the work myself (i am a licensed tech ) but dont have too much experience in the MB Area :bowdown:, but from searching around and reading some of the threads on here seems like i will get to know her pretty good :p

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
OK..
Theres 11 Speakers in the car ... ( feel free to correct me if i'm wrong )
2 sets x 6.5" drivers in the rear of the car - 2 Ohm each
2 sets x 3.5" mid highs
1 set of 5.25" front doors
1 center tweeter behind the rear view mirror

Found that JL has a 6.5" Sub, both in 4 and 8 ohm version.
BUT still bigger is sometimes better, also how much room is there behind the drivers ??

NOTE:
All the speakers in the car will be replaced with some high quality ones.
Each end of the car will be ran by a 4ch amp, where 2ch will handle the mid highs and the other 2ch will do the mid lows.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Lots of time and money invoved

Well here goes, the rattle in the back are either strut (shock look alike) bushings or other suspension links or joints. I would forget converting the self leveling, the springs are different and the car will sit lower without the struts. The leveling pump is tandem to the PS pump
The car audio system is indeed eleven spealers, the ones on the rear deck are low impedence tied in parrallel, the two in the rear doors are in custom enclosures, and the two each in the front doors are also in custom enclosures, the tweeter is behind the rear view mirror. This wole mess is powere by a seven channel amp located above the drivers side rear wheel. The radio is a two piece affair being a control in the front with cassette, the tuner sits at the base of the rear wheel and sends its signal to the "amp", the front and back are connected by a large "din cable" which is routed thru the CD if you have one. The console fader acts on the bose amp in the trunk, and the radio also recieves a speed signal from the ABS ring on the front wheel.
The head rest is simple, there is a rack attached to one of the rods driven by a motor thru a flexible cable. There are two vacuum systems on the car, the first handles lock unlock, lumbar assist, supplemental vacuum for the hvac, aand back up rods, and unless the factory mod was made the trunk handle this resides under the rear passenger seat. This pump puts out pressure and vacuum,and handles the remote unlocking and alarm function. The second pump next to the gas tank drivers side provides the pressure and vaccum for the closing assist function on the doors and trunk lid. I dont question your credentials as a mechanic, but many even at MB dealerships dont understand everything. I would do two things, get the Mb DVD, or an All Data subscription
Star Service CDs and DVDs
and then read
V12 Uber Alles, Repair Help for Mercedes Benz S600 V12 W140
which is excellent!
Then re-examine your goals and priorities, and your cash flow. All can be done, is it worth it, all the wires are in looms, connectors and opening of the doors is a chore, and pulling out the seats will be an experience in the rear deck and car. The fuel tank sits below the rear shelf.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Peter..
I do have access to AllData Through the Ford Dealership i work at.
We have an account setup and since im one of the foremen at the shop i have the username and password to the account. So thats not an issue.

As far as the stereo, im looking for a nice single din all that will allow me to do anything.
As far as the speakers are going i have 3 brands i head right now:
JL Audio, Hertz and Focal

Does Anyone have the exact sizes for the speakers ( besides the center behind the mirror )

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
After a drive today i noticed the flowing....
Fuel mileage gauge is reading at zero and the car is backfiring under heavy acceleration. I'm leaning towards a bad MAF and may need a tune up, a set of plug wires and some new plugs. will replace fuel filter as well since there is a LONG trip coming up for this car and need it reliable ( by long i mean close if not over 6000mi ) and as well as an oil change.

What plugs do you use on your 500 and what grade / brand oil you use ??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts