Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190E 2.3, 500SEC
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I will have my new baby in a few weeks, a 1985 500SEC. Its done 200K, but the engine and trans are solid. Its got a few nicks and dings, and the interior is a little sad as well. I had never driven one before. After a 2 minute test drive I was sold. Damn these cars are perfect for SoCal driving!

Does anyone on this forum know of a good MB wrecker in Los Angeles? I would prefer the kind of place that you can go and pull what you like from the wrecked car and just pay for the parts?
I live in West Hollywood.

Thanks, this forum has been great to read, to know what kind of problems I can expect. But to me thats half the fun, having little projects to work on... Ultimately I would like to make this car better than new, and I'm sure this forum will be a great help in that.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Welcome!

I have had difficulty find a wrecker around here with 126s, mostly really nasty 116s, 124s, and 190s; hardly worth the effort to pull the parts out of.

try asking the list once you figure out what parts you want, most of us probably have enough parts in our garage to put another w126 together.

·
Registered
190E 2.3, 500SEC
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Good point, once I have it I will go through and make a complete list of parts / fixes I need.
One thing, it has bigger rims tires etc but stock springs so it looks a little too SUV. Is cutting down springs a total no no for a quick and dirty lower until I can get cash together for springs?

BTW - your car looks f*&#$ing awesome! How long have you have it / been working on it?

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Erm...well cutting springs is better than heating them until they soften a bit...

Thanks, i've been working on 126s since i was 15.5 years...working on this one for about 4 years now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts