Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1984 280SE, 2009 SL550
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just found this lovely specimen with only 45k original miles. It's a tank, but I love it!

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
I like it too - the euro w126s look much better to me than the US versions. Plus, you got the SE and not the SEL variant. I'd have bought that car too if I came across it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Keep the hubcaps! Notice how great they look. All I ever did with mine was wipe them with a sponge and they came out clean as new. I did wax them at the same time as the car. Alloys are for the birds.

·
Registered
78 280S, 81 300SD, 82 300D, 92 300E 2.6, 90 260SE, 94 S280, 10 E300,
900 Posts
WOW!!! Nice find David, congratulations.

·
Registered
1991 500 SE
61 Posts
Congrats!

Don't ever sell that thing - it is a great car.

I sold my Thistle green 1984 Euro 280 SE with 53k miles on last year - and I SO regret that!
The 280 motor is quite capable of keeping this beast going.
Just be sure to use good quality engine oil and change frequently as these motore are known for accelerated cam wear...

I have recently accuired a 1991 500 SE with @ 70k miles in excellent condition as well - wonderful car. Its a bit dirty in the pic though

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 280SE, 2009 SL550
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the nice comments guys. RSA, do you think those clear headlight covers would fit on my car? I wonder where I could get some. Also, would you recommend switching to full synthetic motor oil?

Oh, and BTW, your cars look fantastic!!

Thanks again,
David

·
Registered
1991 500 SE
61 Posts
David,

I'm not sure what you mean by clear h/light covers... do you mean Euro spec?
Were your Euro spec lights changed to US spec back in the day?
The ones on my car are orig spec and have never been replaced.

Locally, you can buy replacement orig spec Euro lenses for around $45 US each from the Bosch agents - a steal, I think. I recently did this to replace the orig ones on my 560 as they were getting dull and pitted.
It is an inexpensive way to freshen up the look of yr car.

BTW, the colour of yr car is beautiful - very stately.
My aunt had one like that many yrs ago in exactly the same spec incl the hubcaps. What is the interior colour of yr car, and is it leather?

As for oil - I'm a bit weary to use full synthetic on these older designs - even with low mileage. Even more so this Mobil fully synthetic with 0w grades - don't even consider it as it just isn't thick enough to provide cold start protection - PERIOD!!!!. These motors came out with min spec 10/15w in the sump - so regard that as the min spec thickness.

I use Castrol's 15w40 Magnatec semi-synthetic blend in my lower mileage cars with excellent results. In my highmilers ie 560, I use Castrol High Mileage 20w/50 with fantastic results. It uses no oil with this blend whereas with Magnatec it uses a pint every 1200miles. So which provides better protection???
I would have been happier had they made the Magnatec in a 15w/50 or 20w/50.
I guess if there was a full synthetic 15 or 20w/50 I would have tried it out.
We only get full synthetics upto 10w40 - and I'm afraid that's too thin in our climate!

Just don't go lower than 10W - in fact, 15W would be even better.
Look for a minimum of 15w40 or 15/20w50, IMHO - and I think in these viscosities you could prob try Full synthetic and worry less about leaks.

I wish you many happy miles with that beaut

·
Registered
1984 280SE, 2009 SL550
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RSA - thanks for the oil tips. I will try as you suggest. I want to keep the engine protected since it has to work hard to move this car around... I don't mind sticking with regular oil and changing it at 3000 miles. Also, thanks for the advice on the Euro headlights. They must have been changed to US spec when the original owner had it federalized in 1985. I'll look into those replacements. The price is right!

Azimuth - you're close - I'm in West Sac!

Here are some interior shots. I noticed the spare has never been used!

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
Wow, awesome...many congrats. Judging from the looks of it, those might even be original miles. But do yourself a favor and replace the floor mats, otherwise that car is awesome (agree with comments on the hubcaps, very Euro!). There are some threads here regarding the wood veneer if you need help fixing it.

May I ask how you found this car and how much did you pay for it? Again, looks amazing for a quarter century!

·
Registered
78 280S, 81 300SD, 82 300D, 92 300E 2.6, 90 260SE, 94 S280, 10 E300,
900 Posts
WOW!!! The interior just looks perfect! just look at those lucious velour seats.

·
Registered
1985 300SD, 1984 500SEL Euro (for sale), 1977 450SL (adopted)
340 Posts
Nice car, fabulous velour interior!

POS - there's a car that looks identical to this one for sale down south of us near Rosharon. It's a tad on the rough side but I've seen much worse. It's the same color, the same hub caps but with black leather interior. The paint is good and it's a EURO with manual climate controls, wiper arms are in the car, the motors are still mounted, but it has US lights. It is also a 280SE short wheel base the interior is in fair shape. The price is $2500, I don't remember the mileage.

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Congrats David!

Yeah the car was posted on Sacramento CL I saw it there last week or so - the previous owner apparently very knowledgeable about MB's - having a 123 diesel FS as well. So a well-cared for example.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts