Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been inventorying the things that I need to fix/maintain on my one day old 1986 560 SEL and cannot seem to find anything relevant to a dead tachometer.

Mine does not move ever - AND the clock doesn't work... Any ideas before I needlessly buy a new tach?

Thanks

RB

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
One thing to do with a "new" Benz is to replace all the old fuses with new copper ones, and take a Dremel tool/wire brush to all the contact points in the fuse box. Many if not all electrical gremlins can be eliminated this way, and if the tach/clock still doesn't work, at least you've eliminated this possibility. A dead clock/tach might mean replacement of that particular item, which doesn't have to be a new one... hundreds of junkyard cars have the clock/tach available to plug n' play, and it would be pretty inexpensive to do so. I would check/resolder the contacts within the cluster before getting too worried.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing to do with a "new" Benz is to replace all the old fuses with new copper ones, and take a Dremel tool/wire brush to all the contact points in the fuse box. Many if not all electrical gremlins can be eliminated this way, and if the tach/clock still doesn't work, at least you've eliminated this possibility. A dead clock/tach might mean replacement of that particular item, which doesn't have to be a new one... hundreds of junkyard cars have the clock/tach available to plug n' play, and it would be pretty inexpensive to do so. I would check/resolder the contacts within the cluster before getting too worried.

I will try the fuse thing tomorrow with the original fuses - just ran across the copper fuses tonight and will order them. Looks like a good item to change.

Thx.

RB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so I changed out fuses - well at least the #6 fuse as I have one copper white one. Removed the old one - checked out what else wasn't working with the fuse removed (back center brake light in this case) put the new fuse in - back brake light now works but...

The Tach and the clock are still dead.

Also here is another data point - the front and back roof interior lights do not work either - could be a coincidence I will get some bulbs and check but in any case the tach and clock do not appear to be fuse related.

What is the next step - any place I can find a clue as to how to get at the instruments and tach? can't seem to find anything here on replacement of the tach or diagnosing. Found ONE thing but the details were apparently PM'd to the questioner.

Thx

RB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts