Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 124 is my commuter car, so typically it sits in the garage all weekend. My wife can get in/out of her car more easily, so it works better for her.

The first time this happened, I blew it off, thinking I just 'caught it off-guard', but this time, I was more aware.

After rolling down the driveway, reverse still doesn't work, but I don't really need it, engine running, in "N", when I came to a stop in the street and engaged "D", there was an obvious 'thump' after a slightly-longer-than-normal hesitation.

The rest of the drive to work, 27 miles, was without incident and I stopped twice, engine off.

After arriving, I checked the transmission oil, and sho-nuff, it's spot-on for hot fluid. It was, to me, a "transmission fluid is low" kinda 'thump'. Like it had to first build pressure, then the clutches engaged harshly.

Anyone have an idea as to what this is a precursor? It's not likely good, that much I know, but can you steer me in a direction. Either 'get out your wallet' or 'don't worry about it...it'll get much worse, first' is fine. I just hate the limbo aspect.

I said I'd not rebuild this trans until forward motion was a problem. I fear I may be approaching that time, but was hoping to make it 'till spring. I'd really like to rebuild it, myself...new clutches, bands, pistons, seals, whatever it needs, but I don't want to spend my week off between Christmas and New Year's under the beast, working on it. I may just order a transmission from I think it's Jonathon, here, and put it in myself. May even search for a shop that'd swap 'em for me...I'm getting lazy in my old age.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Realistically, if your fluid changes are ok and it shifts fine other than the thump into reverse, it may just need the piston and b3 disks. This plus resealing the front pump actually can be done in a few hours, it is not all too bad, and it should only cost you about $150-$200 compared to the $2k+ you'll spend on the refurb'd transmission.....

....although I would know Jonathan probably would give you a great deal and it would be hassle free.

Just see if the extra few hours is worth your time and money :thumbsup:

If you wanna make it through, try using some of the Lucas Transmission fix, I hear it is not bad to use and may get you another few months.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Realistically, if your fluid changes are ok and it shifts fine other than the thump into reverse, it may just need the piston and b3 disks. This plus resealing the front pump actually can be done in a few hours, it is not all too bad, and it should only cost you about $150-$200 compared to the $2k+ you'll spend on the refurb'd transmission.....

....although I would know Jonathan probably would give you a great deal and it would be hassle free.

Just see if the extra few hours is worth your time and money :thumbsup:

If you wanna make it through, try using some of the Lucas Transmission fix, I hear it is not bad to use and may get you another few months.
Actually, it thumped going into drive. More like hesitated and slammed... I never get on the accelerator before gear engagement...an old habit from manual transmissions and delicate GM products.

Reverse is to the point I don't use it unless I absolutely must, and even then, only when the ambient temps are low and the car is cold.

I'll keep an eye on it. It may be the converter is draining over the weekend. I'm unsure if the pump runs while in "N"...some vehicles do, some don't. However, if it is draining, then putting it in drive will cause a delay and could make the clutch engagement harsh. I know the converter in our diesel-pusher motorhome drains over the course of a few weeks, and gear engagement takes a while, the first time, but that's not a bother.

Thanks for the info! Seriously. A big part of me wants to pull the trans, reseal the front, do the B3 discs/piston, and be done with it for 100K miles. I'd look at the other clutches, too, 'cause I don't know how the car was driven for the first 13 years of its life. I have to assume harshly, just 'cause. It doesn't show any abuse, but assume the worst, that way you're less likely to be unpleasantly surprised.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts