Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm considering buying a new model A170C. Having read a lot of posts about poor build quality and component failures on the previous model I'm a bit skeptical. Does anybody out there have the new model and what do they think of the quality.

Regards
Phil Burman

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have a few in our club
you can ask the users if you like

http://www.elchfans.de/fdb/script/fdb_detail.php?id=533
http://www.elchfans.de/fdb/script/fdb_detail.php?id=469
http://www.elchfans.de/fdb/script/fdb_detail.php?id=505

Im driving the "old" a-class since 1999 and i would not
exchange it with the new model.
The new one seems to have a better qualitiy but it looses, in my opinion, much of its charme.

The new one has Problems with the rear door.
It does not open properly when termeratures lower than 0 °C

·
Registered
6 Posts
My family bought the new A-170 5-doors (W169) in March, and all over we are very impressed with it. The built quality has defently improved and it now looks more grown up, than the 168. Some says it has lost a bit of its youthful charm, since the previous model, but at least the C169 is quite a charmer. The only problem we have had with the car, was a faulty oil pressure sensor, but I have not heared anyone else experience this problem. I know that the 5 door versions of the pre-launch verticles had a problem with their rear doors not shutting properly in sub zero celsius conditions, but we have not experienced this problem in our car.

The A-170 engine is smooth and quiet, but with a lazy fly wheel. It has absolutely no problem pulling 3-4 people around in town or motorways, or even up Norwegian mountain roads. But, it's no sports car, and it promotes cruiseing more than sporty driving. The steering is soft in towns but get much harder at motorway speeds, but does lack a bit of feedback, it still beats the A3/golf servo though! Before we bought the car I also tested the A-150. Despite car magazines saying the 1.7L does little more than the 1.5L, I did find the A-150 to strugle a bit on mountain roads where as the A-170 where happy enough. Suspension is hard, but not as hard as the 1-series and outside view is excelent. I haven't tried the optional sport suspention, but I don't know if my butt would have enjoyed much harder suspentions than the standard ones. Road noise are supressed, but possible it is a bit more noise in the cabin than bigger mercs. Also I have noticed a strange squicking sound from the rear, sounding like rubber rubbing agains metal, I haven't been able to locate where it comes from, but I suspect its the emergency wheel in the boot. If you active use youre hand brake during driving, you will find it located to far back. But then again, you shouldn't do that anyway! The ESP can not be turned off, or partly turned off, witch is a bit enoying in soft snowy conditions where you sometimes needs a bit of wheelspinn to not lose momentum up a hill. But, the a-class' ESP is having none of that, and replyes with cuting engine power. This can be enoying if you live where snow falls, but all over the car feels very safe. You sit high in the a-class and with the rear seats positioned even higher, this is great feature if you have kids or you needs to transport granny. The car is great to park, as soon you have got comfortable with not beeing able to see the bonet edges. The A-pillars are wide, but not more than any other new car today. But, I do recomend the optional parking sensors with LED screens on top of centre dashboard for the front, and over the rear window for the back. Sice wise the car feels big and roomy inside, with a lot of cup holders and storage rooms. The Easy Vario (standard on 5 doors) is great, with adjustable bootfloor and removeable and foldable rear seats. All over the car is practical and comfortable.

The optional equiptment list to the new A-class is long and reminds me of the dark ages of the 80s car buying experiences. You can realy use a lot of money spec-ing out your car, and you do need to study the option list closely. I had to download the list from the German internetsite, as the regional equiptment list at the time was incomplete and with some misstakes. I learned for instance that only with the optional Bi-Xenon light, do yo get head washers and you need to opt. for front fog lights, and with electric adjusteble seats, there is no memory function, nor can you opt. for easy vario pluss, storage bins under front seat or firedestinguisher. Also, the UHI- interface for mobilephones have bluetooth, but this function is limited to headset conection only and you have to opt. for radio 20 or higher, and you need to opt for a arm rest in the front. If there is raindrops on the optional sliding panoramic roof and you opens it, it will drain into your car. (but a fixed panoramic roof will posible be awailable after the B-class launch). Only with the climotronic aircon. system do you get adjustable vents for the rear seats. And if you want extra speakers, you need to opt. for a emergency wheel. So know the option equiptment list, before you do any deals with the salesman, is my biggest advise.

The CVT- gearbox is brilliant, and well worth it at least mated to the A170. It changes gears nearly without you feeling it, and can be set to manual mode with 7 gears to play with, but parently there is a long waiting list for it! Some magazines also claimes that a regular automatic is awaiable, but this is not true. Also the climatronic is great, spesially with the rest heat function in winter time, which keeps youre car warm, while youre shopping. Personaly I am also quite happy with the standard 6 speakers, and I dont realy see any point of any extra subs. Leather is lovely, but if you go for the beige or the grey interior, be aware the carpets stains easily. But, in my opinion it looks much better than the dark black ones. The Bi-Xenon lights adjust the hight automaticaly depending on speed or load and tilts through corners. 12v socets is located in the centre consolle in front and on the optional front armrest for the rear, these two are marked with 13A. Also a tiremonitor is awaiable extras without sencors in the wheels itself, but works with vertical accelerations trough the ESP. Wich is great if you have more than one set of wheels. The optional folding mirrors can be set to fold automatically when you lock the car with the standard remote controll. And seatbelt monitors are standard for front and rear.

All over the car will give you great enjoyment as long as you have optioned for the right equipment, and I do recomend it as an alternative to the BMW 1-series or VAG A3/golf MK5.

·
Registered
A-Class (W169)
53 Posts
I am thinking of buying the new A-Class and I am currently choosing the equipment. Do you find the Bi-xenon lights helpful and much different than the standard ones? And the TERMOTRONIC (worth 1600 EUR) instead of the standard air conditioing.

Thanx!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have tried the standard H7 headlamps on the new W169 last September in fogy dark Norwegian autum and despite AutoExpress 3 star, vs bi-xenon 4 star, I did find them relatively good. The standard light is bright with well definded edges and is actually not very inferior to my Xenons. (~70meters vs ~80m) But, for me, I needed head washers and you don't get that with the standard light. In my opinion that is the only reason for Xenon on that car. The automatically hight adjustment dependent on load and speed with the Xenon lights is actually more confusing for other motorist than the standard ones, because they seems to think I'm flicking my lights at them!!! The curve turning function on the Xenons I haven't realy notised and I feel this is more a gimmic than a usefull function. If you need more exterior light functions the fog lights and the exterior light package is far better ways to spend youre money.

The thermotronic is worth every penny!!!! (or maybe not, AC is not standard in Norway and we pay nearly the same in euro as youre upgrade from standard AC) But, the thermotronic is very good and defently much better than the normal AC wich I also tested those days in September. Firstly you get seperate air outlets for the rear, through the back of the front arm rest with a seperate flow controller. (you have to spec. it with the front arm rest). Remember the airflow/ heat to the rear seats are on the standard AC very poor and on cold days it takes a good 20minutes to heat up back there. I presume, it takes some time to cool down on a warm summer as well!

With the thermotronic you also get a airoutlet on the top of the centre concolle with a flow controller, wich is very usefull when you get damp inside the front window. And it has the (rest) function, meaning it will keep youre car at the same temrature for 15-20min after you have turned the engine off and gone shoping. Other functions with the termotronic is cooled/ heated glow box with adjuster and automatical function to keep tempratures within +/-0.5 degrees celcius for the front. The autofunction controlles flow, temprature and wich outlets to get air automatically. MB claims the thermotronic measures the incomming sun beams to keep tempratures as well??!! But, in practise the thermotronic works very well, and is that equipment that is most presiated in our car. (It also looks lot better than the boring standard ones).

The standard AC is semi automatic meaning you have to adjust tempratures and where you want the airflow manually. I noticed that on the standard AC it was very hard to adjust the temprature where I wanted it, on the dial.

Good look with spec.ing the car, I think you will be very happy with it! I have just sent mine to the garage after failing to find where a strange squicking sound is comming from in the rear, but when I find out what it is and how to sort it out, I'll post it in this forum.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz A Class A150 2006, Volkswagen Golf 1.6 1999
12 Posts
go for the new aclass! i would personally if i was buying another go for the a170 over my a150 as like a lot of reviews state, it can be a bit sluggish at 40+ but soon picks up again..

it seems to accelerate well in general town driving and for a car with a higher driving position handles well

despite it being at the lower end of the merc spectrum the general spec. of equipment and the build quality is great, very adaptable, can easily fit two bikes in the back with the seats down

wouldn't recommend the smaller engines if you were after a hot hatch but against reviews it is a much better drive than a ford focus and a vw golf...ive had use of a focus for about a fortnight and i wasnt thrilled by it nor was i the golf..go for the a-class!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts