Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced first hand the handling of the new drive system? Being electronic certainly could have many advantages even if it comes with some negatives but the only feedback I've gotten so far was one driver's negative opinion about the 'feel' of it.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,128 Posts
Has anyone experienced first hand the handling of the new drive system? Being electronic certainly could have many advantages even if it comes with some negatives but the only feedback I've gotten so far was one driver's negative opinion about the 'feel' of it.
Do you mean the steering system? It is not drive by wire, but electrically assisted. It is not the best feature of the car, but I've found in the past you adapt quickly. There is little feedback and it seems overboosted to me, but I drive an M3 as my DD. Not a deal killer, IMO.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having a built-in speed-dependent power assist would be a welcome feature. No clue what the centering properties of such a system will be. Interesting tho that with electronic steering you are using no energy unless you actually are steering.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I for one LOVE the steering feel. Very light at low speeds, like parking, and normal at higher speeds. Seems just perfect to me.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I for one LOVE the steering feel. Very light at low speeds, like parking, and normal at higher speeds. Seems just perfect to me.
My recollection is that the technology "leap of faith" didn't work out so well for the early adopters of MB's electronic braking system. If the the electronic steering will have been put to the test by the time it shows up in a ML500 -- e.g., no complaints from any owners of other 2012 models -- then it sounds like an improvement to me, especially if the speed-dependent damping is progressive instead of just easier to turn in parking lots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts