Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is matt guenther. i'm 16 years old, and for my 16th birthday my dad got me a 1991 500sl with about 105,000 miles on it. I love my car alot, and eventually i want to start repairing it and upgrading it. it's so expensive to bring my car in so i want to learn alot about the car so i can try to do some of the stuff myself. First of all, the person who owned it before me installed a bel radar detector. I want to take it out, but don't know how to get acsess back there. also i want to put some custom subwoofers in the back storage area. is there any way i can find out good places to run wires and how to access them? <br>
thanks for the help =]. <br>
Matt G

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Congratulation, what color is the car. You're very lucky. For the subs, go at a dealer who has a 1998-2001 for sale with the bose premium sound system, then flip the driver front seat and open the compartment behind the seat. They fitted the sub and the ampli back there. Good idea, it'll inspire you for sure since you will find out that you need all the trunk space the car can give you.Congratulation again, post some pictures.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's teal with a gold trim. It's in very nice shape. it's being stored for the winter but we are going to get a major tune up when winter is gone. I have a bel radar detector installed in there in the little tiny area above the center console installed. how do i get behind there and get acsess to all the wires because i want to take that out? also i have a problem, my security system will sometimes go off when i open my door, and sometimes when i turn on my right blink, everything on my dash flashes off then back on really quick. what should i do?<br> where's the best place to find a nice chrome exhaust? thanks,<br> matt

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like it's a very nice car. D'ont worry to much about the alarm and the electrical. Should be easy to fix. You should go to the dealer, if theres one thing you should do at the dealer, it's electrical. There's plenty of professionnal mecanic that are just fine but electrical his touchy, especially on that car, wich has a lot. Chrome tips from amg are great, you should be able to get one from racing/tuning shop that are copies but if I where you, I'd go for the serious stuff: amg, lorinser, brabus. The tips isn't that much money, it's the wheels that really hurt. For your electrical problem, his there a remote starter..sometime the installer fuck up the electric and the alarm. Also, betwen you and me (and without offense) there is nothing bad in buying a car that has been rebuilt after an accident, mercedes (especially sl) are very strong and small hits aren't so bad, but somethime the guys have the car rebuilt electrically so so. Check it out, but don't worry about it. Have the vin number checked at mercedes, they will give you some service records and data on the car, might clear things out a little. Keep us updated. By the way, my name is matt to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts