Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I've only just discovered this site and on first impressions I like it. It is very similar to roadfly.org for BMWs.
I'm in a transition period between driving a BMW 635CSi and getting myself a Merc (The BM died a slow and painful death). I am looking at a C43 or a C36. Apart from the obvious engine size difference, can anyone explain the advantages or disadvantages of either. Also what differences are there between an AMG C36 and a Brabus C36?
The car I buy will be a 1998 or 1999 model.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
If I am not mistaken, 1997 was the last year of the C36.

1998-2000 was the run for C43....

If I am not mistaken, 1997 was the last year of the C36.

1998-2000 was the run for C43.

These dates might be incorrect as you are in the UK.

Brabus C36. Similar to the AMG C36, but different. I think Brabus has removed all the information on their old models off thier website.
[:(]

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
C43. no doubt. If you can find a good one over here. Better, a C55. We subsidised the whol...

C43. no doubt. If you can find a good one over here. Better, a C55. We subsidised the whole run so that those lucky chaps Stateside could buy them at the right price!
43 will last longer than the 36, has a beefier but lazy V8 engine which will give effortless motoring, and last a lifetime.
The 36 is a straight six, ok but a bit outdated.
Brabus 36 is nothing more than body sills and wheels in comparison. Over here the AMG keeps better value as it is 'MB genuine'.
Drop me a mail if you want more info..
good luck

·
Registered
C36 AMG
4 Posts
Wally,

The C36 has a flat six engine and produces 285BHP, whilst the C43 produces 310BHP and is a V8. Other differences are the rear exhaust box; twin square on C36 and twin oval on C43. Other changes are on the C43, the front lip, rear lip and side skirts. Wheels are both the same 17" flat face AMG's. Interior is or can be different on the C43, you could have it as designo leather, meaning two colours, usually black and silver.

Any problems drop me a line!!!

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
36 vs 43

Bora was right, the 1997 was the last year for C36's.. The 43 was made in a 98 and 99, with a few in 00. The 36 uses the 3.5l Diesel steel block, so it's heavier, stronger, and higher tuned, to get 268/276 hp. the 43 has the E430 V8, with intake and Exhaust, Headers, etc, for a boost to 302 hp. They are similar in speeds, but the C43 is newer, and with that obviously comes refinements. More options, such as lumbar support, two toned upholstry etc. They both have Recirculating Ball steering.. Physically, they both have AMG 17's, the front and rear ground affects are different, and the 43 has side skirts. I know nothing about the Brabus 36. I just bought a 43, and she is wonderful. Good luck on your quest. Wyatt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts