Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first M-B 1991 300 TE 4MATIC with 101000 miles with all service records. I flew up to NJ and drove the car back to NC. Car ran great, body and interior is in great shape for a 17 year old car. Oil pressure was at max 3 bar the whole trip. I took the car out today and drove it to town and when I came to the first red light I noticed that the oil pressure had dropped to around 1.2 bar. As soon as I touched the pedal it came right up to 3bar. I did not see this at all on the 600 mile trip from NJ. My question is do I have a problem? If so what can I do to find out the reason for the drop? By the way this is the best driving, best riding car I have ever owned. Hope some of you with years of knowlege can help me out. Thanks, Tony:(:(:(

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Perfectly normal. The gauge reads in "bars" with one bar being about 15 psi. Therefore 1 bar is quite adequate at idle.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
All my cars peg the oil pressure gauge before the RPM hits 1500. If yours does that you have nothing to worry about.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Why would you buy a 17 year old car from rustville that is a first generation 4Matic? You are just asking for problems!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would you buy a 17 year old car from rustville that is a first generation 4Matic? You are just asking for problems!!
This car was garage kept in Florida for the last 11 years. No rust org. paint in near perfect shape. Interior is in mint cond. I have never seen a car this old that is all org. and looks this good. Runs perfect.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
This car was garage kept in Florida for the last 11 years. No rust org. paint in near perfect shape. Interior is in mint cond. I have never seen a car this old that is all org. and looks this good. Runs perfect.
But it still has the disaster known as first gen 4Matic.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
91 300 TE 4MATIC

But it still has the disaster known as first gen 4Matic.
I have all service records and have spoken with the org. owner in NC and the second owner in Fl. There has never been any work peformed on 4matic except maintanance. I will not be driving this car every day and if its worked 17 years I am not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I inherited a similar 300TE wagon last week, immaculate pristine body and leather interior with a few glitches like the central locking not working but like yours, I also had the low OP at idle but that I understand is pretty normal as far as it gets back to 3 Bar when driving! These models are true MERC classics and I just can't get over the ultra-smooth engine and auto tranny after 17 years of service! Enjoy the experience but do get it properly serviced - the full monty!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts