Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gentlemens

My name is Rudy and I am a new owner of a 300CE 1989 mercedes benz! Always liked the old w124 and I finally did a move.

Bought it for 2000$ from a friend of mine, he is also a w124 enthousiaste. The body is in great shape considering its age and the engine works well. Of course there will be work to do but I am willing to put the money and time to make here shine again!

I am far from a professional mechanics but I have been lurking this forum for a few years now I hopefully some of you will be able to help me out on my w124 project. ( and yes I will use the search button before making a new post ;))

So enough talk here are some pictures and what I am planning to do with it! :rolleyes:

First thing first, Tuning up the engine correctly, (wires, plugs, fluids, joints ect)
I need to change the front speakers, they are dead.
New brakes
New grill head light and maybe the front bumper
Interior (I need to refurbish the wood since it has faded with the sun, updated shift stick, updated seats)
AMG monoblock 18''
New springs
And new paint job ( probably next summer )

I will also keep you updated on the progress with pictures and maybe videos!

Sorry for my english!..

Cheers

·
Registered
2005 E55
785 Posts
Nice car!

Where in MTL are you located?

I got the same car in white, no euro lights though.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
I would hold off on the new paint as the last thing to do in a potentially long list of items that are required to get a 23 yr old car back to spec. Keep in mind that the 2-stage Standox paint used by MB back in the day before water-borne paints is still the most durable paint job you will ever see. Let the car grow on you and the paint further develop a graceful patina before dumping the big bucks on a paint job that will likely last just a fraction of the time the factory paint has endured.

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Nice car. I'd hold off on the paint job too (try a good detail/buff/clay, etc...) and I'd leave the stock wheels on... 18" might look cool but the ride is god awful on such an old car.

There were 17" wheels on my 400E and I went to stock 8 hole 15" and the ride improved 100%.

Your coupe is perhaps my favorite color combination!

Changing the bumper cover is easy:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1670031-front-bumper-cover-refresh.html

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice car!

I am on the plateau mont royal, right in the middle of the city!

I would hold off on the new paint as the last thing to do in a potentially long list of items that are required to get a 23 yr old car back to spec. Keep in mind that the 2-stage Standox paint used by MB back in the day before water-borne paints is still the most durable paint job you will ever see. Let the car grow on you and the paint further develop a graceful patina before dumping the big bucks on a paint job that will likely last just a fraction of the time the factory paint has endured.
Yes I am uncertain about changing the original paint, since its the last thing on my to do list so first things first, but I will have to do some touch ups. I will have to get get back on that subject soon. But if i ever decide to repaint the car it will be next spring.

Nice car. I'd hold off on the paint job too (try a good detail/buff/clay, etc...) and I'd leave the stock wheels on... 18" might look cool but the ride is god awful on such an old car.

There were 17" wheels on my 400E and I went to stock 8 hole 15" and the ride improved 100%.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1670031-front-bumper-cover-refresh.html

Good luck!
But 18inch AMG monoblocks looks so sexy on a W124 i can't resist! It is a sacrifice I might consider if I ever change car in the future I would like to keep those AMG wheels. Also keeping my eyes open for a set of 17inch Lorinser RS70 but they are hard to come by...

I also love the color combination, can't wait to keep you guys updated on the progress. Ill use the link you sent me to replace the bumper cover for sure.

Thanks for the replies! And sorry for the delay I am out of town for the moment. Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you are right, but since its on of the last thing on my to do list it might take a while before I make a move. If ever, I will have to wait next spring. But I will most likely have to do some touch ups. I'll get back to you guys on that subject.

Nice car!

In the middle of the city, plateau mont royal! Your coupe looks really clean.

Good luck!
But 18" AMG mono blocks looks wayy to sexy, it is hard to resist! I always keep my eyes open for a set of 17" Lorinser RS90 but they are pretty hard to come by.

I also love the colors combination, as for the link you sent me ill be sure to check it out when ill change my bumper cover!

Thanks for the replies!
Sorry for the delay I am out of town for the while and I don't have to much time on my hands!
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts