1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300E 4Matic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Benz lovers!
Our blue baby has no spark - we have tried the following:
Replaced the cap, rotor and plugs. Then onto the rear crank sensor, but still nothing. Coil was tested, lighting a 12 volt tester on both terminals on top of coil. We have power into the coil but cannot get any power to the distributor. Our next option appears to be the ICM, but that is a spendy little box :crybaby2:.

We do not own the impulse diagnostic tester but have determined we have the three codes from the "flashes" . We have two flashes, four flashes then 17 flashes. Puzzled by the 17 flashes as the codes are only supposed to go 1 to 12??

Looking for ideas or "been there done that" solutions so our baby can purr again.
Thanks so much!
Doug and Deb :)

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
I'll preface this with saying that I am not a mechanic, I write checks.

You say you have power into the coil, but what is your proof that the coil is working? All you have proved is that 12 volts is getting TO the coil.

·
Registered
1990 300E 4Matic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Silversleeves! Fault in data transfer between individual control units sounds like where we are headed....maybe the TPS is our culprit! Crossing our fingers that it stops there. Appreciate your help :thumbsup:
Have a great day,
Doug and Deb

·
Registered
300CE-24, W204 C220 CDI, W210 E55 AMG, W124 300TE, W163 ML270 CDI
399 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I hope you enjoy your time here, you may find that everyone is quite helpful, you could learn quite a lot.

Remember to post some pictures of your beautiful machine!

Happy driving!

·
Registered
1993 230 TE.1999 om 606 td. and 722.6 3.2L,clk w208 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
737 Posts
Coil negative shorted out?
Either the wire from ecu to coil or coil wire to diagnostic socket?

Boyd:)

·
Registered
1990 300E 4Matic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Boyd for the idea of where to look next! Took the replacement ICM to the shop and will see if that does the trick (found one locally with warranty that was 10% cost of new). Otherwise, we are out of electrical parts to try! Wouldn't that be something if it was a loose or broken wire? Makes sense to our flash code of 17! :surrender:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts