Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1958 MB 220S & 1985 300D
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TODAY!!
Beautiful 1985 300D, 175,000 w all maint records, owner's manual, window sticker etc etc. Great body, reddish color (don't know the official designation yet but have it someplace). No rust, no rot, my 3rd W123 diesel but first one to be a real keeper.

What do I need:

Parts sources, I do know about mercedessource.com but am interested in others. I do have a lot of parts from my earlier owned cars but will be in need of more eventually.

Front driver's seat rebuild. I know I saw some info about this in the past. This car deserves all the attention I can give it and a re-built Drivers seat would be first.

Biodiesel. ULSD is everywhere now. Car has a tank of B5 right now. What can I safely use in the dead of winter, say lows around 0-20 degreees F. I'll be buying professionally made BD from a company that provides B5 through B99.
Regular diesel, anything I can add to help preserve the fuel injection pump? Any need to worry?

Engine Oil. From my previous ownership, I still have 10 jugs of Shell Rotella-T but I see there are heavy duty synths available now. How are the new synths leaking-wise? Is 7K between oil changes too much with the synths? I generally go 3 to 5 with dino oil. Car's used 100 Miles per day commute at 60 to 80 mph.

Transmission: Should I screw with this if it's working OK? r just leave it alone. I'll probably do the two little valve thingys on top of the valve cover and check my vac lines but that's about it.

This car is really super nice. I also looked at a 300CD w/400+ K miles on it. Rusty but runs good. That's a real boat load of miles.

I'm a fairly decent mechanic (home grade) and hope to be a great contributor here. And yes, I am aware of the valve adjustment requirements but will wait till spring :) I even still have the goofy wrenches for this. They worked on my 58 too!

I also own a 1958 MB 220S, Gas, 66K original miles and am the third owner. love these old MBs

Thanks Very Much.

·
Registered
1985 California 300 D Turbo Diesel and '85 Federal 300D Turbo Diesel. '84 Cali 300D - SOLD
360 Posts
Sounds like a great find. :thumbsup: Autohausaz.com is a great source for parts.

·
Registered
81 300TDT WAGON , 82 300DT SEDAN, 84 300TDT WAGON(retired),
442 Posts
TODAY!!
Beautiful 1985 300D, 175,000 w all maint records, owner's manual, window sticker etc etc. Great body, reddish color (don't know the official designation yet but have it someplace). No rust, no rot, my 3rd W123 diesel but first one to be a real keeper.

What do I need:

Parts sources, I do know about mercedessource.com but am interested in others. I do have a lot of parts from my earlier owned cars but will be in need of more eventually.

Front driver's seat rebuild. I know I saw some info about this in the past. This car deserves all the attention I can give it and a re-built Drivers seat would be first.

Biodiesel. ULSD is everywhere now. Car has a tank of B5 right now. What can I safely use in the dead of winter, say lows around 0-20 degreees F. I'll be buying professionally made BD from a company that provides B5 through B99.
Regular diesel, anything I can add to help preserve the fuel injection pump? Any need to worry?

Engine Oil. From my previous ownership, I still have 10 jugs of Shell Rotella-T but I see there are heavy duty synths available now. How are the new synths leaking-wise? Is 7K between oil changes too much with the synths? I generally go 3 to 5 with dino oil. Car's used 100 Miles per day commute at 60 to 80 mph.

Transmission: Should I screw with this if it's working OK? r just leave it alone. I'll probably do the two little valve thingys on top of the valve cover and check my vac lines but that's about it.

This car is really super nice. I also looked at a 300CD w/400+ K miles on it. Rusty but runs good. That's a real boat load of miles.

I'm a fairly decent mechanic (home grade) and hope to be a great contributor here. And yes, I am aware of the valve adjustment requirements but will wait till spring :) I even still have the goofy wrenches for this. They worked on my 58 too!

I also own a 1958 MB 220S, Gas, 66K original miles and am the third owner. love these old MBs

Thanks Very Much.
Do you mind telling us how much you paid for this new car? Just rough number. I want to get an idea for how much I should pay for a nice 300d here.

·
Registered
1958 MB 220S & 1985 300D
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you mind telling us how much you paid for this new car? Just rough number. I want to get an idea for how much I should pay for a nice 300d here.
$3795 delivered to my door by the owner. I paid $3,000 for my previous 300 but to make it nice would have costs many $1,000's. This one needs very little work, mirror switch, radio replacement, front seat rebuild and the "make the dasboard lights brighter" job. Tranny shifts hard at low speed so I need to do the vacuum diagnosis. Spring-time is valve adjust and maybe an injector upgrade (playing around, not needed). Hood Pad replacement. I'm really stretching for things to do on the car but since I like them, there's a lot I'll do that wouldn't be needed.
I felt the price was good since I had a boat-load of service records. There's a service record from MB at 135K and lots prior (at MB also) so I think I made out. NO RUST was the biggie for me since I am in New England, salt and snow. It doesn't hurt that it is the same color as my 58 Ponton either :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts