Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am a new member. I do not have a mercedes benz yet but i am in the market for one. I do not have a whole lot of cash and found a 1983 300sd diesel benz for sale, it has 300 thousand miles. I am not scared of the milage because i know diesels last pretty much forever. for 900 dollars i think its a good buy but im looking for advice and input. Is there anything i should keep my eye on when looking at it, anything i should check, anything to listen for when test driving it, anything i should know at all? Thank you for help in advance hope to be a mercedes diesel owner in near future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an 81' 300CD for years, sold it unfortunately with 440k and she was still strong. I never had a problem with mine, just kept the maintenance regular and she was wonderful. Obviously since I had no real issues, I am not helpful as to what would be important to evaluate and I am sure someone else with chime in with the correct procedures. Good luck.

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
503 Posts
Weird how both registered on the same date, i.e. 12/03/2010, etc, etc.

How about also including your locations and doing a forum search as well as reading the sticky? Will help a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am from Central New Jersey, the car i found is in Pennsylvania. the ad says the car smokes a little at start up but then clears out and goes away? Some quick advice and input to help me would be great since i dont have much time to do a whole lot of searching and research

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Most, if not all smoke at start up, mine do.

When driving, make mental notes of odd sounds.

These cars are seemingly slow, do you get a bunch more acceleration once the turbo spools up? ~2500 rpm.

How does it shift, does the climate control work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not too worried about the climate control, im more of a windows down guy..im more concerned with the motor and trans. what would cause it to smoke? im new to these cars, i previously had a diesel truck but that was brand new...im looking for some basic info on these cars, any problems i might run into, etc.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
If maintained, these engines last a very long time. It has an automatic altitude adjustment device, ALDA, which is told what to do by a pressure line coming from the intake manifold, going to a switchover device on the half fire wall, then to a round silver box. If this line is clogged, the ALDA won't get the signal to add much fuel before the turbo spins up, creating an extremely slow take off from a dead stop.

That has been misdiagnosed more than once.

The transmission on mine does flare (a hesitation between gears) occasionally, but is otherwise fine.

If you can have a knowledgeable person to check it out, that will certainly help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts