Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 W210 - E320 4MATIC - 70,000 miles

Sometimes, at around 40 mph, I have a vibration that feels like it is coming from the rear end. It comes and goes, which makes it very frustrating. RPMs, accelerating or coasting have no effect on the vibration, it is completely dependent on speed. Weather or temperature also have no effect.

I have replaced tires, all balanced and a fresh alignment.

I am guessing flex disks (aka u joints) are the problem. I figure if anything is broken then the problem would be constant.

Any other ideas, maybe motor or tranny mounts wearing?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
mwfcpa said:
2000 W210 - E320 4MATIC - 70,000 miles

Sometimes, at around 40 mph, I have a vibration that feels like it is coming from the rear end. It comes and goes, which makes it very frustrating. RPMs, accelerating or coasting have no effect on the vibration, it is completely dependent on speed. Weather or temperature also have no effect.

I have replaced tires, all balanced and a fresh alignment.

I am guessing flex disks (aka u joints) are the problem. I figure if anything is broken then the problem would be constant.

Any other ideas, maybe motor or tranny mounts wearing?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
You're not the only one. This vibration has been discussed several times. No one seems to know the answer. The vibration goes away as the car warms up. Worn flex discs could do it, although some have noticed this with low mileage cars that presumably would not have bad flex discs.

Could simply be that minor tire flatspotting resonates at that speed, although the tire explanation is at odds with mostly 4matic owners noticing this.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
oh yeah, I have it between 40 and 70. A nice rhymthic vibe every 3/4 second or so. I figured it was related to the flex discs, but they are not cracked and appear to be in good shape. I still have snow tires out back, so thats not helping. However, Im hoping its more associated with my bad LCA bushings. They are being replaced on monday, so I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm confident it is not in the tires. Same problem before and after new tires, balance and alignment.

Is this problem inherent in only 4Matics?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts