Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a new member and new to the MB world. I am looking to purchase a w124 wagon and will be checking out a 1992 300TE with 160,000 miles. According to the current owner, the entire engine and transmission were rebuilt around 120k miles by the previous owner. The SLS accumulators were replaced too along with the brakes, rotors and tires. The AC was recently refiled as well. Current owner claims to have all maintenance records. Is there anything I should worry about regarding the engine rebuild. Also, what else is there to check?

Thanks
N

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Ask why it was rebuilt if he knows...

If he really has records, I'd say you have found a very nice wagon and I would jump on it as long as its in good condition and everything else works and of course, the price is right. They are getting more and more difficult to find, evenmoreso with records.

If the A/C was refilled, again ask why. If its leaking at the evaporator, you are going to be stuck with a 10-12hr job and $800 in parts or $3k at a shop.
r134a or r12? Hope the later...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know what type the AC is, but I will ask. Isn't the R12 the older system? Is it superior or easier to work with?
Thanks

·
Banned
1991 560sl / 1987 300TDT / 1995 E300D / 1994 S350D / 1993 300SD /Cummins Diesel PU /2 airplanes
861 Posts
"Rebuilt" is a very vague term. Some guys consider a bottle brush hone on the cylinders and new rings a "rebuild".
Check all the receipts with a fine tooth comb before you buy.
I have the 87 diesel wagon and IMO it's a great car. don't know about the gas model but Ps2cho does.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Superior, yes....easier, not as much, but its better hands down. If its been topped up, its probably been converted.

If the owner was diligent enough to replace SLS accumulators, its probably been cared for quite well, so as Rudolf said, find out more info on the rebuild.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
I would ask him to fax the receipts from the engine+transmission rebuild.

If he has that, and the work done was extensive, along with the SLS replacement, I'd take the car pretty seriously. Engine tranny rebuild has to be a $5000 or so kind of repair bill. Headgasket? $1200. If he lied? Important to know.

So, if he does not have receipts to back up what he is saying, then, I'd consider that not true and continue the review of his car. Once someone tells me something clearly not true, every word they speak is worthless, only what I CAN verify myself is true. (Does not rule out every car, but severely reduces chances I buy from that owner)

Filling A/C is bad news in these cars. Often, that is code for 'filled with a can of sealant first' which may be good for a season, for a sale, but big expense if you'll keep the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. After some more e-mail exchanges, it sounds like the previous owner was a big DYIer and he was looking into maintaining and fixing the car religiously. I plan to check the receipts and see if the rebuilt was done by a shop or by the previous owner. The AC was supposedly never filled after the motor was rebuild and the current owner just recently added the fluid.
N

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone help me with a carfax check? VIN is WDBEA90D7NF215016. I get some funny things through the DMV site when trying to estimate the registration fees.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,686 Posts
Can anyone help me with a carfax check? VIN is WDBEA90D7NF215016. I get some funny things through the DMV site when trying to estimate the registration fees.
I dont believe we're allowed to ask others for that.. At least I know on PeachParts we arent..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts