Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1994 BMW 740i
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking into buying a ML320 for the winter. I've watched quite a few videos on Youtube and they seem to be very durable and good in awd. I'm not new to the German car world, I currently have a BMW for summer. I was driving a 98 Nissan Pathfinder for winter, but I had to sell it due to the poor fuel mileage, poor 4wd, and not to mention how every single thing was going wrong on it. I'm mechanically inclined too, so I do work on my own vehicles. I put about 375km a day on driving back and forth to school.

So I have a few questions about the ML320...

1. What is the fuel mileage like? (how my miles/km tank of fuel)
2. How reliable are they, is their common issues?
3. How are they to work on? (With my Pathfinder, I basically had to pull apart the whole front of the truck and engine just to get to a belt which was beyond ridiculous... Not user friendly by any means)

Any help would be greatly appreciate, thank you.

edit: I also want to add that the I am thinking of looking at is a 1998 if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
When it comes to the W163 the newer the better.

Please also see the New Members' Guide at the top of the Forum page.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Luxury..Plus a 94 Taurus SHO, 95 Reg Cab Eddie Bauer F150 302, 00 Explorer XLT 4wd
507 Posts
When it comes to the W163 the newer the better.

Please also see the New Members' Guide at the top of the Forum page.
I've read it over and looked at it... 2000-2002 is the age range

I am a little scared I will admit.. Seems this maybe a little more troublesome than I need... But I want another MB... So gotta tread carefully

PS: Please don't like rake me over the coals..I am steadly reading the stickies.. I just want a few ya or nas and such... Its hard to cover so many pages at once LOL

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I've read it over and looked at it... 2000-2002 is the age range

I am a little scared I will admit.. Seems this maybe a little more troublesome than I need... But I want another MB... So gotta tread carefully

PS: Please don't like rake me over the coals..I am steady reading the stickies.. I just want a few ya or nas and such... Its hard to cover so many pages at once LOL
I find the decision and research involved in purchasing a new car quite exciting!

Have fun doing it!:)

All I can say is this is probably the best Forum in the world with many informed and knowledgeable members....it has made owning this vehicle so much easier than it could have been!:eek:

·
Registered
2008 C300 Luxury..Plus a 94 Taurus SHO, 95 Reg Cab Eddie Bauer F150 302, 00 Explorer XLT 4wd
507 Posts
I find the decision and research involved in purchasing a new car quite exciting!

Have fun doing it!:)

All I can say is this is probably the best Forum in the world with many informed and knowledgeable members....it has made owning this vehicle so much easier than it could have been!:eek:
Yes it is exciting and nerve racking.... Then you worry your gonna find a lemon lol...

Im down to either an W163 ML320 (i'd prefer a 6 unless i get lots of THE V8 is better) or an Infiniti QX45 (the old pathfinder based things)

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
If your going to buy, go 02 or newer. If your looking for fuel milage though, look elsewhere. Even the v6 compared to the v8, if your going 4x4ing you can watch the gas gauge drop.
On a lighter note though, the awd system is awesome.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3
2,982 Posts
I'd recommend being handy with a screwdriver and a wrench; and having a basic understanding of automotive principles. Your reading the stickies and Guide makes it sound like you're resourceful enough to do this.

These trucks are always like rolling the dice, but I think as they get older, they haven't developed any more severe problems... Just the same little ones that nickel and dime you to death.

But they are really great trucks.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
1984 380SL
26 Posts
We have a 2002 ML320 for the bride, and it has been the most secure best AWD vehicle I've ever experienced, it's damn near psychic in its handling of snow, ice, nastyness, etc. That's coming from a guy who has a Volvo V50 AWD as a DD, and that vehicle is fantastic but not as good as the ML. Mileage isn't great but it's par for other AWD vehicles, we get around 20 mpg but a lot of cold weather and short trips will drop it to 15. Bring your maintainence skills, it has been a needy creature in the year we've owned it, center bearing, water pump, defroster actuator, rear wheel bearings, rear brakes, plus the normal scheduled service items. If I had been paying to have this done I'd be (more) broke (than I usually am) but Mercedes still builds them with the idea that they will be serviced and makes it doable by mere mortals. At 100K miles it drives and feels like a new one, the build quality is well above domestic brands. And it will turn on a dime and give you a nickel's change.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
I would get a pre-facelift 2001 ML430 (personally). If you want the 6cyl for fuel consumption.. the earliest years 98-99 are the lightest and get the best economy. 2002 ml320 is several hundred pounds heavier (thats why they soon bumped displacement to 3.5L)

Btw, the pathfinder based infiniti from that era has not so good crash test info. The ML is a MUCH safer design.. FWIW.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
I just went through the purchase bit about 4 months ago and just almost getting to the comfort stage. I looked for about 5 months for one and anything from the ml55 to 320 and hadn't even looked at anything older than 2001. In the end I bought a 98 320 as it was in better shape than even one 04 I looked at and had a complete service history book. So I ended up buying it.

Heres the thing with the history I knew it had problem areas looked at and fixed. So even as paranoid as reading the stuff about how bad a early year is don't discount them. The only thing aside from putting in gas and washing it is I tweaked my window switches thanks to a info on this forum and pic s someone had posted. If you can figure out whats wrong most is basic to fix. And if you order parts online ( canadapartsonline.com is a good one) its cheaper than some others ie a Ford Explorer to fix.

And one last thing that was nice to see was according to one fed agency the most unreliable year ( they said that was 2001) was still better than average. So if you can shop around and get one thats been looked after and can do a bit of diy you will be happy with it. I know mine feels tight and works better than some newer vehicles friends own so pretty happy with it.

And if you resist the gas pedal which is hard to do :) I'm seeing consistent 21.6 mpg in the city. Not supposed to get that but over the last 6 tanks around town thats what it is.

Look at the stickies for things to check before buying etc, get a code reader or borrow one when you go look at any. And turn on and flip all switches to make sure everything works.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
ha, go figure re: 2001. Basically these trucks are great. AND YOU WILL HAVE TEETHING ISSUES. Just expect them. Love the truck, expect to replace some parts thats basically it.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
As long as you can work on little things with this truck, you will love it. These are great trucks, very strong and sturdy and like a ll vehicles have some problems but it should be fine if you can work your way with it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts