Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member looking at a 1997 S500 with 106,000 miles on it. It is in another state and I would have an independent mechanic inspect it before I made a purchase. I am looking for a large sedan and we already have a 2000 E320 wagon that we love.

I am wondering what issues I should be on the lookout for or expect down the road with this car. Any assistance would be appreciated.

A couple of issues already disclosed about the car. One of the rear window regulators is not working, the trunk suction close is not working, and the rear shade is stuck in the up position. For a 1997, none of these concern me greatly. I would fix the window but likely not the other items. It has a clean Carfax (no accidents). Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes S320 W140
71 Posts
Make sure you really want it as the W140 may take what you pay for it to be spent on it if you are unlucky. window regs are about $40 less postage from eBay atm. Things like vacuum leaks with soft close pump and central locking pump can be very frustrating and expensive if they are not operational.

good luck with your purchase

·
Registered
99 S320 (Sold at 280,000 miles) 2010 S550, 2008 C300, 08 SLK
439 Posts
The window regulator issue is an easy DIY as is the trunk closure (thanks to this list!!!) I'd ask for the service records. Over 100K miles they should (BETTER!) have records.
Being out of state I'd want an up-close-and-personal before I commited.
Could be a gem!
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
Well i have a 97 s500 and i have about 145,000miles. I have no service records of the stuff i did but i am not selling my car. Now window regulators are simple to replace. Next thing the trunk close might be tricky, i have bought about 5 latches sending about $50 a latch and it was not that latch or pump or hoses fault everything was working but where the pump and hose meet was damaged.

Common issues with m119 oilers break and then you get a tick also oil pressure drops
Common issues with transmissions leaks, slips and getting stuck on a gear
Common suspensions issue air cells get old and not hold pressure. Shock mounts go bad causing sounds
Common interior issues sunroof needs regreasing and plastic brackets repair, visors failing, mirror getting loose and if car was parked in sun light interior plastics breaking
Common exterior issues tail lights sun damaged, side mirrors not function, headlight wipers failing, and lower front bumper damage
Common electrical issues o2 sensors, maf, coils
Exhaust issues resonator rusty and damaged cats

That is all i can think of right now

·
Registered
1998 W140 S420
271 Posts
Well i have a 97 s500 and i have about 145,000miles. I have no service records of the stuff i did but i am not selling my car. Now window regulators are simple to replace. Next thing the trunk close might be tricky, i have bought about 5 latches sending about $50 a latch and it was not that latch or pump or hoses fault everything was working but where the pump and hose meet was damaged.

Common issues with m119 oilers break and then you get a tick also oil pressure drops
Common issues with transmissions leaks, slips and getting stuck on a gear
Common suspensions issue air cells get old and not hold pressure. Shock mounts go bad causing sounds
Common interior issues sunroof needs regreasing and plastic brackets repair, visors failing, mirror getting loose and if car was parked in sun light interior plastics breaking
Common exterior issues tail lights sun damaged, side mirrors not function, headlight wipers failing, and lower front bumper damage
Common electrical issues o2 sensors, maf, coils
Exhaust issues resonator rusty and damaged cats

That is all i can think of right now
Haha, you pretty much summarized what people talk about on this forum 99% of the time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts