Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2008 Vito 115cdi Crew Cab
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used Vito 115cdi Crew Cab 2 weeks back. It's done 161,000 km.

It seemed ok when I test drove it, but I didn't go far, it was raining, I got lost and concentrated more on finding my way back than on checking out the vehicle.

It was a private deal and still under finance. Turned out to be a real mission to get it paid up and get hold of the papers. Took 10 days, but at least I got them. Also discovered some time later that the licence had expired at the end of 2014, so I didn't get to drive it for a few more days until that was sorted.

After all of that mucking about, it was time to get it serviced, do roadworthy, do registration and start driving and enjoying it. Well, in theory, but it just wasn't to be. The damn thing seems to be falling apart as I watch it.

Brake light warning on the dash is on - ex-owner says brakes are fine but some or other clip on the back brake got knocked off during a tyre change and he lost it. I'm not sure what it is or what to look for?
Is there an exploded diagram anywhere that I can have a look at?

Light warning bulb on dash goes on and off at random times but all lights seem to working fine. I wonder what could be causing that?

Clutch has started to judder slighly on pull off (only under certain conditions, like reverse on an uphill). If I gently press the clutch pedal while it idles, I can feel a vibration)
Will that be clutch problem, dual mass flywheel problem, or both? How can I tell?

Now for the real crunch...

Got back from the shops, turned off the ignition and removed the key - The aircon kept going? Put the key back, tuned on the ignition, switched off the aircon and took the key out again. Aircon was off but it's fan kept going.
Locked and unlocked the van and checked again - aircon fan was still going.
Turned on the radio and it played. It only used to work with the key in the ignition?

Put they key back in the ignition and didn't get any response, like there was no response to the key. Tried to turn it on but it won't turn at all.
Moved the steering (which is locked) while trying to turn the key, but no luck.
Tried the spare key - also no response and won't turn.

What the hell is going on?

Vehicle is now stuck around the back of my place, steering locked, no ignition, window open and, of course it's starting to rain again.

Can't get another vehicle in to lift it or tow it. Can't push it because the steering is locked. I'm not quite sure what to do or where to start looking for the problem.

Any suggestions Please
(not a can of fuel and a box of matches, I've already thought of that)

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response, appreciated.

I will go and check battery as suggested but I don't hold out much hope for that being the problem.
Battery seemed strong as it started easily after standing for a week while we were farting around with papers, license etc.
My Alfa won't do that even with the brand new battery it's got.

Problem started 5 minutes after I got back from a drive to the shops.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, thats good info. Didn't know about that fan, in fact I don't know anything about the Vito except that it's giving me too much shite.

Just seemed strange, and together with the fact that the radio would switch on without the key in the ignition. I don't think it did that before.

As we're chatting, I just got word from the previous owner that he had the same or similar problem with the key not turning, or not syncing or some such thing. He claims to have had work done on it but isn't sure what they did. He's going to find the invoice and let me know.

I will keep you posted.

Mug

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phone went as dead as a Vito while talking to ex-owner.

I've got to get more info about what he had done.
It may be a good lead and some help, but I suppose it could also have been some cheap bodger job so he could sell the thing to a Mug :laugh - not funny.

If I was a hat, I would go on ahead
but seeing as I'm a Vito owner, I will have to go on foot !!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strange response from battery

I put a multimeter across the battery, but didn't get a proper reading.

It kept moving up and down between 11.25v and 11.70v - never seen that before.

Will get new batteries for the meter and try again in the morning.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will put it on charge in the morning.

Got an 8amp charger - should I put on the fast or the slow setting?

Another thing, there are 2 positive bolts on the side of the fuse box - does it matter which one I use for charging?
I note from the owners booklet that it says not to charge directly onto the battery as it cam cause damage to ecu

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is not the battery.

Battery was down a bit 11.5v
Fully charged now and doesn't make any difference

Disconnecting the battery for a while does not help either
Left it disconnected for about an hour before connect back up - no difference at all.

Going to start looking at fuses now

What a ball ache

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had it on charge for 4 hours and watched the guage slowly creep up to the full mark.

Put a multimeter across the battery and got a steady 12.8v reading

I have no way of testing the acid as per your pic, but yes I'm as sure as I can be that it's fully charged.

Just been through the fuses and couldn't find anything blown.

Also left the key in the ignition for a couple of hours like somebody else suggested, but that does nothing.

What about spraying the eis hole with contact cleaner? I've got lube and non-lube?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update on "key won't turn - no ignition - steering locked" problem.

Tried both keys - no help
Charged battery - it's full 12.8v - no help
Checked fuses - no help
Disconnected battery for 2 hours then re-connected - no help
Left key fob in ignition overnight - no help
Jacked up the front so wheels off the ground - bumped wheels side to side, and same with steering wheel - no help

Had the MB Techie around last night with his diagnostic equipment.
He plugged in, ran the diag, and was real surprised when the vehicle started and diag did not show any fault.

Says he thinks it must be the EIS - I guess he would have to say that as they supposedly changed the ESL 1019km back.
They charged R4,000 for the "ESL" job (equal to £220 approx) and that was quite obviously a rip-off.
I'm guessing that the same thing happened last time they had the vehicle and they just picked something random to bill for, like an ESL.

Later he changed his mind and said it's probably a loose wire under the dash somewhere.
That's no freekin help to anyone.

Where to from here - I just don't know.

People take their vehicles in for repair and all they have is trust.
Trust that the repair will be done properly.
Trust that they won’t be lied to or ripped off.
Trust that they will be safe in their newly repaired vehicle.
Trust that the vehicle is not going to let them down again.
In more general terms, they have to have trust in the dealer, and trust that the dealer has their interests at heart.

What is the next step when that trust has been broken?

I have no confidence in the dealer, no confidence in the brand that manufacturers vehicles using technology that is known to be flawed and no confidence in any “repair” that they may or may not do on the vehicle.
I can find no honesty in this and will find it very difficult to have any trust in the dealer, the brand or the vehicle itself.

The biggest problem for me now is, what next?

While I ponder that, here’s a passing thought…

The wife and I "hoped and prayed" that the vehicle would start. It did.
The mistake we made was that we didn’t "hope and pray" that the techie would find the problem.

Well, I suppose at least someone is listening.
It seems that if you want to drive a Merc, you will need to get closer to the Big Guy upstairs, and be more precise about what you wish for !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.