Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
C-240
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am a proud new/used owner of a 2003 C-240 that I purchased over the weekend. Love the car and hope it will last a long time. If anyone out there has any good information to pass along, feel free to do so. I do have a few questions as a new MB owner:

1. Do I have to use premium fuel as indicated on the gas cap?
2. Should I use synthetic oil?
3. Now that I purchased the car, what are the bad things I can expect to
encounter in the future? Just want to know what to expect (should have
asked before purchasing the car I know).

Thanks for everything to come!! I am sure I will be checking this forum often for tips and advice. It seems to be a good way to get information and hopefully fix the Benz myself or find out whats wrong with it before I take it to the mechanic.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,125 Posts
Welcome! It's always nice when people introduce themselves before
asking a slew of question.
1. The older series 6's seem to run OK on 89, and maybe even 87. Try it.
The engine isn't stressed that much.
I only run premium in my car, but with the boost from the supercharger, I don't want to
risk detonation with my blower at 11 psi. Your car won't be so picky.

2. Yes, synthetic ONLY ! Typically Mobil 1. 'Must' be certified for mercedes, though I ran
Valvoline that wasn't and my car is doing fine. Just bought 18 quarts of Mobil 1 for $5 a quart on sale, but the sale is over now. When I got the Valvoline Synth it was $1 after rebate. Hard to pass up.

3. Can't think of much but there is a couple things.
a. Check to see if you have a Valeo or Behr radiator. If it's Valeo replace it.
It can leak coolant into the tranny and kill it.
Click HERE
b. Flush your tranny
it's not a lifetime fill.
c. and replace the electrical connector on the tranny when replacing the fluid, it leaks, wicks into the cabling, and kills the TCU (trans control unit)
under the floorboard of the right seat.

Other people might know if the 2.5L 6 has any faults. Mine has issues with leaky cam sensors wicking oil into the ECU, which is a real pain. Could be something similar on your car. Not sure. Oil leaking into electrical harnesses seems to be a common theme. How many miles you have?

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Welcome.

Use premium period! These engines were designed to run on premium fuel only. The owners manual will say you can use lesser fuel in a pinch and not to stress the engine when doing so.

Synthetic is what's recommended. Luckily the oil will last long (I do mine about every 10K with a filter change in the middle)

Things that go wrong? How many miles? If it's original I'd look at the rubber components in the front suspension and steering, complete fluid flushes if you don't have history and the things stated above.

·
Registered
C-240
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a billion for the advice. I will get on the radiator flush and ask the mechanic about the radiator and tranny flush as well.

Thanks again for the advice and I hope at some point I will be able to give advice to someone else.

Awesome forum!!

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,125 Posts
Also call a dealer, and give them your VIN and they'll tell you if there's any service
campaigns or recalls you need to get done.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes C240
1 Posts
Me TOO!

Hello all,

I am a proud new/used owner of a 2003 C-240 that I purchased over the weekend.
Thanks for everything to come!! I am sure I will be checking this forum often for tips and advice. It seems to be a good way to get information and hopefully fix the Benz myself or find out whats wrong with it before I take it to the mechanic.
Coincidentally, I too just bought a used C-240, for my wife. Not what I would have chosen, as I knew that IF something needed fixing, it would be pricey. The "B service late" indicator came up the day after we bought it, sitting at 77k - quote from the local dealer was $450.
HA HA HA HA.
Taking it in to a garage to do the fluids and filters myself, hopefully this weekend. Ditto to the above quote - lots of good advice and info on this forum. Here's a couple items I haven't seen addressed yet:

ALL of my front right corner lights (low beams, parking lights, turn signal, etc) went out this morning. Is that normal, for them to all go the same day? I couldn't find a fuse that handles the whole assembly, wondering if that's unusual, or if I might have a wiring problem, or if I just need to stock up on bulbs.
Also, since day two, can't get the in-dash system to show me anything but mileage and error messages. The buttons to scroll through menus do nothing. Is there a way to reset the computer and see if that lets me into the menus to check oil level / settings / etc without taking it in the the rapists...er, I mean, dealer?

Hoping the wife doesn't have any major problems, but using the menus to check things would be helpful. Going out to sea, won't be back any time soon. Any common repair items to start budgeting for?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts