Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've been looking at your forum and it looks like you have a good bunch of members. I have a 1989 300SL and have just purchased another 1989 560SL from Utah which will be shipped to where i'm living now in Dubai.

As i don't have any experience of a 5.6 litre engine, i'd appreciate any help and advice about what to look out for and any problem areas.

Also, does anyone have any knowledge of how well the AC system works on a 560SL? - i'm going no need it working well in Dubai !!

I'll post some pics tomorrow of both cars. . .

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
628 Posts
Also, does anyone have any knowledge of how well the AC system works on a 560SL? - i'm going no need it working well in Dubai !!
Welcome Welcome.

As to the AC. If it's working and charged properly it can blow some good cold air. That said, let me see, 110F all day long and a single piece of cloth over your head. Man you're in trouble. Last time I was in the ME even sedans with real roofs and modern AC's and darkly tinted windows go hot:eek:

My suggestion is SPF 70, the top down, and a new towel in the car every day. No wait the towel will dry before you set it down each time so just keep the same one.;)

Enjoy

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
Welcome to the board.

The 5.6, like the rest of the M117 family, can develop issues with the timing chain and related components. Conventional wisdom says the chain, tensioner, tensioner rail, and upper guide rails be replaced at or before the one hundred thousand mile mark. However, the upper guide rails are plastic, and can become brittle as a matter of age rather than mileage. Their condition can be inspected by removing the cam covers.

Another, simpler issue is the camshaft oil feed pipe fittings. These are plastic bits attaching the feed pipe to the cam bearing towers. As with the guide rails, the plastic becomes brittle with age, and in the event of failure, the rocker to cam lobe surfaces lose lubrication. Very bad for the pieces involved.

If your car doesn't come with service records showing activity in these areas I would suggest having them inspected straight away.

Dave.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both for your comments.

My 560SL is being shipped from USA to Dubai in the next week.

Here is a picture of my 1989 300SL . . .

Attachments

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
39,177 Posts
Great, Fio.

Now I not only have to lust after Nobby's steering wheel and Scott's windscreen but your wheels leave me a nice envious shade of green.

Beautiful car.

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
Digs you reallly got to get some new rims. What's so bad with the ones you have , my memory is fading of what your look like.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
^ I think those are Lorinser's, but I don't know the designation or anything.

Fiorano, I see the 300 is RHD. How did it end up with US spec bumpers?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice looking car - and welcome!

Whatcha gonna do with 2 SLs?!
Thanks ConnorD - Well here's a story . . .
i shipped my 300SL from the UK to Dubai ASSUMING i would be able to drive a RHD car there. Turns out they just passed a federal law against RHD cars unless exporting. I was well an trully stuffed!!
Its been here for 3 years now so i'm going to sell it.
I bought the 560SL because i'm still missing the 107 experience.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ I think those are Lorinser's, but I don't know the designation or anything.

Fiorano, I see the 300 is RHD. How did it end up with US spec bumpers?
What are those rear wheels. I like em what size.

John roncallo
Its a personal thing but i liked the US spec bumpers and lights so had them shipped from the US to UK. I also bought the Lorinser 8x16 rims from Germany. The rear ones are 9x16 (i think).

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
I was in middle school anticipating car ownership when the Federal regs for the 5mph front and 3mph rear bumpers came down the pike. Every artist's conception and Detroit prototype in every car mag I read suddenly had seeming railroad ties for bumpers. The '73 Chevelle drawings had gone from a GTO style molded front visage to this abomination.

Now, I'd love to get rid of the front and rear porches that pass for bumpers on my SLC. But if you like it, it IS your car. And that's all that matters

·
Registered
119 Posts
man...dig the chrome on his daughter!....truth be told dave...I with fiorano..Im kinda liking my big ass chrome on my US 560 too....and the H-lights do flow with the whole grille....im sure im in the minority here...still its not horrible...grows on ya i guess...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts