Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86' 560SL, 11' X5, 01' 330 Track
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured I finally get around to introducing myself on the forums. I bought an 86 560sl about 2 weeks ago. I had been searching for an older car for a daily/cruiser, mostly looking at BMW's (Ive got an 11' x5 and a 01' 330 autocross coupe), when I found this. Black on black,160,000 miles. I purchased it for less than 3k. Considering how well it drives and besides the flaws, I think it was an extremely fair price. Only plans I have for it are Paint, BBS Rs' and a sound system.

I apologize for the over edited pictures lol

I've been browsing the forum's previous to this so I look forward to being on here.

·
Registered
US spec MB560SL 1986, Audi A4 and A6, Ford Taunus 1964 17M and 2.0 1975
1,419 Posts
Welcome

Nice car and very nice pics, avsome photos. Real nice setups and excellent W107 pics.

Check the MB photo contest thread!

BR

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
Of course you waited 2 weeks to introduce your car to us.

Probably took you that long to create the fantastic portfolio.

Congrats and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice car and very nice pics, avsome photos. Real nice setups and excellent W107 pics.

Check the MB photo contest thread!

BR
Thank you! I appreciate the heads up I might just submit some.

Of course you waited 2 weeks to introduce your car to us.

Probably took you that long to create the fantastic portfolio.

Congrats and welcome aboard.
Haha thank you I do photography for a hobby so I snap a picture whenever I get a chance. These were all taken with my iphone, I have yet to do a shoot with my dslr

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
Awesome photos....I'd say you stole it for what it looks like.....guess you'll find out soon if you should have chipped in another 15K for a garage queen.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome photos....I'd say you stole it for what it looks like.....guess you'll find out soon if you should have chipped in another 15K for a garage queen.

Thanks for sharing the photos.
Thank you! Im on the younger side (22) so I didn't want to spend a great deal on one. It has some cosmetic issues here and there, and it needs a new soft top, but it runs great so I cant complain. I've been driving it daily for a couple weeks now with no issues. I set aside some money for an inspection and preventive maintenance so Im crossing my fingers nothing serious comes up.

Welcome to the best forum.
Thank you!

Welcome, nice 560. :thumbsup: You need some small bumpers on that.
Thank you! I kinda like the larger bumpers but what does a full conversion usually run?

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,362 Posts
Depending if you can find some local or online at a good price. I have about $600 invested on mine.
That is if you DIY. With that mileage you need timing chain guides first.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
406 Posts
Congrats on your new beauty! As noted above, there are lots of items that should be looked at considering the age and mileage, but they can be DIY if you are so inclined.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Welcome aboard, young man.

I third the advice on the timing guides but would also point to getting the chain itself checked for slop. If that chain or a guide goes, it will cost you major money to rebuild the top of the engine and replace (possibly) damaged pistons.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is if you DIY. With that mileage you need timing chain guides first.
I guess thats something Ill note to my mechanic. What is the average cost to get the guides replaced?

Congrats on your new beauty! As noted above, there are lots of items that should be looked at considering the age and mileage, but they can be DIY if you are so inclined.
Thank you! I usually DIY everything with my previous car's but I know little to nothing about Mercedes. I guess there is going to be a lot of time spent researching in my future lol

Welcome aboard, young man.

I third the advice on the timing guides but would also point to getting the chain itself checked for slop. If that chain or a guide goes, it will cost you major money to rebuild the top of the engine and replace (possibly) damaged pistons.
Thank you! Sounds like this is something I should get looked at now. I asked up top but whats the average cost to get a new guide, just want to know what I should expect to spend.

Welcome from another 560 owner! Watch out for that Inner Harbor rust!
Thank you! I live in near the harbor, unfortunately the horrible roads will probably kill the car before it starts to rust haha

·
Registered
1987 560SL
406 Posts
I can't offer any info on repair costs since I try to do everything I can do by myself. I suggest that you buy a shop manual CD or just look at the one online. They are really quite good with step by step info.

There is also a wealth of information on this site. Chances are that anything you need to do has been done by someone here and a thread is posted with details of the job.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't offer any info on repair costs since I try to do everything I can do by myself. I suggest that you buy a shop manual CD or just look at the one online. They are really quite good with step by step info.

There is also a wealth of information on this site. Chances are that anything you need to do has been done by someone here and a thread is posted with details of the job.

Thank you! I noticed that, Ive been skimming through it.

Welcome aboard! Great pics.
Thank you!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts