Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
Anything decent like CRC Motor Pro works pretty good.

In a pinch, you can use gasoline or kerosone and the like as long as you're careful removing all of it (old grease, solvent, etc). This stuff tends to leave a nasty odor unless you're meticulous.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
^Actually heating it up and trying the window should prove whether or not you even need to go through the trouble of changing out the grease.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It's definitely pretty tar-like, yet otherwise the regulator seems to be perfectly functional. Maybe I'll get lucky and just need a clean and a re-grease

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Hmm, thanks for the tip. I would like to lower it a little, maybe just an inch, but I don't really want a stiffer ride since it's my daily driver and my wife will be riding in it plenty. I was thinking maybe just chop a loop off each coil spring (with new shocks of course) to keep the ride soft and lower it a little bit.
lowering the car shortens the suspension travel, specifically the compression. if you don't compensate by using a stiffer spring, you will bottom out the suspension on road bumps/dips where the stock car would have had no problems. bottoming out the suspension too many times or too hard, and you damage hard parts.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
IMO, a stock W124 has sufficient ground clearance where 1" reduced ride height won't make the car undriveable unless the roads where you live are like the surface of the moon. If you find that you can't live with it then go for a stiffer spring. You will want to cut less off the rear to even out the stance unless you like the dumped ass look.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts