Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL, Alfa Romeos = 91 164, 88 Milano Gold, 87 Milano Verde, 79 Alfetta SS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Just bought a 1990 sel as a project. The car was running up till 10 days ago but is now not getting fuel. This is my first MB but I have lots of Alfa Romeos so I am a halfway decent DIYer. I have read alot of posts here and I would think the problem is probably either the fuel pump itself or the fuel pump relay. I have a fuel pump on order and am trying to find a relay but they seem to be out of stock at least where I have checked. Got an order in but it has not shipped yet, same as the two previous relays I ordered that were canceled.

A few questions

1) I need a shop manual and have seen the ones on ebay - are these any good? If not, any sugestions?
2) I need a decent source for parts - any sugestions? Not necessary that it be the absolute cheapest if they know what they are doing.

I have not actually picked up the car yet as it would be much easier to get it running first and drive it either on to a trailer or back the 35 miles from the seller. I will be adding pictures for those interested but be warned, it is a project, not looking real good right now like many of the REALLY NICE 126's in the sticky picture thread.

Thanks in advance!

Leonard

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL, Alfa Romeos = 91 164, 88 Milano Gold, 87 Milano Verde, 79 Alfetta SS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull the FPR out and jumper the #3 and 7 pins I think. when you do that you should hear the FP running and the system will build up pressure. you can look up FPR in the archives and find the correct pins to jump if the ones I listed are wrong. if you dont get the FP running this way then they are bad or the connections are loose/corroded or you have a wire issue. also, on the positive battery post there are 2 red wires connected to the terminal via 10mm nut, make sure that those have good contact as they feed the FPR
Wow! Thanks for the super quick reply! I will do a search for the proper FPR test proceedure!

Leonard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick update -

Went to pick up the car today. Tried to get the car started by jumping pin 7 and 8 in the FPR but that had no effect. Got AAA to come and tow it the 40 miles to my house (got the premium 100 mile towing). While checking some electrics (rear seat heaters - they work) I had to put the key to position 2 (run). When I did that I could hear the pumps running! They must be on the way out and got hung up like they do when going downhill. Often, a wack with a hammer will get them running again - like a starter motor. The trip on the tow truck must have jarred them enough to get them unstuck. Anyway, went ahead and turned the ignition over and it started right up. I will be replacing the pumps and filter anyway once they get here.

I will be posting the to do list in a few days when I get back from a trip out of town. I am thankful for the help I got on this and other issues using the search function.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts