Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, forgive me, I am new to the MB scene.

I get my license in June, and i want a Mercedes-Benz more than anything, but my budget is around 10k. I found this car, [Link in post below] and i totally love it, it is a great price, good mileage, but I have some questions, that way I know exactly what I'm talking about when I present it to my mom, hopefully you guys can help me with them.

1.I know it is a salvage title, according to the seller, due to damage rear that was repaired. Will that make my insurance any higher than it would have been already, if we get it looked at by a mechanic, and deemed safe?

2.From what I've read, this car tends to have some problems. How do I go about getting a warranty to cover them, and about what would the cost be?

3. I know it can depend on the car, so, is 82,000 an acceptable mileage for a mercedes? ill probably it use for 5 years or so, and maybe pass onto my brother after that?

4.Anything else I should know cost wise, or anything else, that you can inform me about, so there aren't any surprises?

Thank you to anyone that can help :)

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Hi Spencer and welcome. I am afraid I am not going to tell you what you'd perhaps like to hear, but maybe you genuinely want opinions and advice from other owners.

I'd pass on this car and this model for several reasons. Specific to the car in your link, it actually had front end damage according to the ad, not to the rear, so that is even more troubling to me. Appreciate that these cars are not cheap and even at used car marketplace prices it would still take more than a gentle tap to render it a salvage car. That to me says that there could be any number of gremlins waiting under the hood to steal your hard earned cash. A rear impact generally isn't as bad because all the sensors, hoses, engine components, headlights, radiator, A/C, etc., are in the front. Also, the air suspension may have been damaged and that alone is enough for me to walk away as they are quite expensive to repair as your research surely shows. Can you get pictures of this car before it was repaired so you can see exactly what was damaged and how badly? Maybe even a parts list for the repair?

In the sellers poor quality pictures it still seems like the hood gaps are off.

A salvage car will never bring much money on resale and you will severely limit the buying pool, I would never buy a salvage car of any sort because there are so many good undamaged cars out there to pick from. The only reason to buy salvage in my experience is to save money, and while that may be prudent to a degree it is not a wise idea with a MB. These cars get very expensive very quickly and more so with a previously totaled car. If you've researched these enough you have probably seen the phrase "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes" which rings true especially on the higher end models. You absolutely want something that was well cared for and serviced at the proper intervals, etc. Anything less and you're gonna pay dearly, both financially and via mental anguish.

Also, this was the top of the line car at the time, one of the most exclusive and expensive cars in regular production in fact, so many parts are unique to this car and are very costly to replace. Have you called around to check prices for some standard parts and repairs?

I can only recommend this car (in a non-salvage version) to an older driver who has the knowledge and ability to do most repairs himself, who has a bottomless bank account to cover costs, and who has another vehicle to use when this one starts giving you mystery problems that will cost hours in labor to get it right the first, second or third time it's in the shop for the same issue.

Am I trying to scare you off from the CL? YES. I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if I didn't. My primary concern is that you will buy the car because you can afford the asking price, but not realize that the true cost of ownership for a Mercedes-Benz comes with maintaining one. I worry it will sit in your garage after it's first $2,000-4,000+ repair is needed and you will be turned off to the brand altogether. MB's are great cars and we're a passionate lot, but you have to know what you're getting into.

I truly think you should consider a CLK320 or a C-class like the one I have now if you really have the Benz bug. These cars will give you a bit more of a learning curve and allow you to make some mistakes that may still be costly, but much less than a CL. There will always be CL's for sale if you later determine it's the car for you. BTW, I am not just talking out of my ass, I seriously considered a CL for a good two years, but after seeing problems members had, and those of two friends who have this CL, I realized quickly that I didn't want to go down that costly route to ruin.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you bring home, and share some pics when you do. Don't be afraid to ask questions and in the future consider posting in the sub-forum specific to the model you are looking at as well.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Dont do it

If the car has a salvage title it means the insurance company did not see fit to repair it, and sold it as such. If the damage was minor they would have fixed it. You can never remove the "salvage statement" from the title. I am confused the seller says minor front damage and ithink you say rear damage It means nothing that a reputable shop did the repair, they could have cut the rear or front end off another wrecked car, MB builds their cars with crumble areas and the damage could go deep.
I would suggest you run away from this one, trust the insurance adjuster, and ask you insurer about insuring a car with a salvage title.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both so much for the advice. If I don't get a new car, I will be driving our 4 door Jeep Wrangler, and now, that is starting to sound like a better alternative. lol. thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
The other poster are correct to scare the hell out of you. Someone on a strict budget should not be coming anywhere near a Benz, BMW, Audi. These cars are for leasing and dumping after a few years. OWNING them requires cash, plus spare time and patience when stuff goes wrong. Plus more cash. And did I mention, patience and cash?

Sorry dude, but a late model Honda or whatever will be much less heartache.

If you're really stuck on a Benz, something much older (70s or 80s) might actually be less trouble, due to less complicated electronics to go wrong. But basically, used cars are only "cheaper" if you are lucky with build quality, and value your time at $0

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
I will be driving our 4 door Jeep Wrangler
That doesn't sound like a bad vehicle to start with actually. Something you can easily carry friends around in and also easily park without concern for scratches and dings, or worry about getting stuck in a field at a summer concert. :)
If it's a family car or hand-me-down then you could use the opportunity to save money back for another year or two and build a little savings with which you can eventually buy that Benz and have enough cash in the bank to not worry about repairs too much. I'd suggest keeping around $2,000 in liquid cash available for any repairs or maintenance that may come up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts