Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

121 - 140 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300E 4Matic, 1987 560SL
427 Posts
That's some nice land. I like the rock with the outcrop. Seeing that sunrise will be a good way to start the day.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #123

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Very nice. Wishing you the best in your retirement. Filling out my SS application tonight for 12-31 retirement.
Congrats John!

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
That's some nice land. I like the rock with the outcrop. Seeing that sunrise will be a good way to start the day.
Don't get too attached to that rock. It's going to be ka-boomed next April.

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Little sidebar to the build. The garage plans originally showed 24x24.
I wanted 24 by 30 and I asked the architect to bump it back 6 feet.
She suggested that I bump it equally front and back to maintain the peaked roof line with the house.
I said "Great idea!"
But when she bumped it....it only added up to 29 feet. Hmmm.
Turns out the maximum garage size in that municipality is 700 sq. ft.
24x29 = 696
Pure luck or foresight?:)

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Thanks Nobby

Its kind of scary. You work and save all your life and then expect to bang on a rock with a stick and hope money will come out.
:)
My plan is to retire Feb. 1 which means I have to inform them Nov. 1 and start the process.
Eek!
I'm pretty nervous about it considering what next year holds for me.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,154 Posts
My plan is to retire Feb. 1 which means I have to inform them Nov. 1 and start the process.
Eek!
I'm pretty nervous about it considering what next year holds for me.
Trust me when I say that retirement is grossly under rated! As both of you have enough enough to keep you as busy as you wish, you'll absolutely love it.

The only thing I miss about working is a paycheck direct deposited every two weeks.... and a few of the people I worked with.

OTOH, I had only one perfect month of retirement before SWMBO decided I was having too much fun and retired as well. :(

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,337 Posts
Just promise me this that you won't just sit in front of your TV, drink beer, and goof off all of the time and then punch out a few years later. Walk around with Mrs Nobbs and keep (somewhat) healthy.

I need a few more GTGs with the Canadian wonder!

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,195 Posts
I've been retired for years and the biggest problem I encountered was being home all day and getting in SWMBO's way. However I think you'll be up to your ass in alligators with projects for a few years so that won't be an issue for you.You might need to do a little research on internet communications at Fantasy Lake so we aren't cut off from your inputs. :)

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
You might need to do a little research on internet communications at Fantasy Lake so we aren't cut off from your inputs. :)
High speed is available.....although how much does a retiree want to actually pay???
The wealthier are using a dish for internet and phone and TV.
I doubt I'll go that direction....I'll have to find some combo I can live with financially.
Christ...I only get a cell signal when a stiff wind blows from the West!

·
Registered
1988 560SL, 1969 280SL(113)
110 Posts
Don't get too attached to that rock. It's going to be ka-boomed next April.
You might want to consider using some of the ka-boomed rock for architectural purposes and save on hauling costs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
You may find you don't need a huge dish
High speed is available.....although how much does a retiree want to actually pay???
The wealthier are using a dish for internet and phone and TV.
I doubt I'll go that direction....I'll have to find some combo I can live with financially.
Christ...I only get a cell signal when a stiff wind blows from the West!
You may find you don't need a huge dish. I get my tv via satellite and the dish was cheap ( around $100). Have a chat with the locals and your internet provider and you should be able to get something that won't cost an arm and a leg. It's not like you're going to be that far from the big city. The only reason to look now is that if you were here there would be delays in hook up like "we can't fit you in until Pancake Tuesday", or, " our techie is on leave" or dead or just plain slack. You know what I mean. Maybe it's easier in Canada.Good luck

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
You may find you don't need a huge dish

You may find you don't need a huge dish. I get my tv via satellite and the dish was cheap ( around $100). Have a chat with the locals and your internet provider and you should be able to get something that won't cost an arm and a leg.
The costs for any Internet / cable / cell service is one of the highest IN THE WORLD here in Canada.
Why we don't storm the Bastille is the real question.
We just put up with it.

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
262 Posts
The costs for any Internet / cable / cell service is one of the highest IN THE WORLD here in Canada.
Why we don't storm the Bastille is the real question.
We just put up with it.
I was shocked (shocked I say!) at the price of internet when I moved back. However, the dirty secret of Silicon Valley is just how shitty the internet is there due to corporate monopolies and civic corruption. I topped out at 40mbps (via microwave relay if you can believe) but now have 1.5gbps fibre to the house. It ain't cheap but it's faaaast. Luckily work pays for that and my mobile.

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
You might want to consider using some of the ka-boomed rock for architectural purposes and save on hauling costs.
Well, trust me....I'm going to retain as much of it as possible to save costs.
There is also a quarry about 20 minutes away with a gravel making machine. I have rock and I will need gravel....see where I'm going with this?

·
Registered
1988 560SL, 1969 280SL(113)
110 Posts
There is also a quarry about 20 minutes away with a gravel making machine. I have rock and I will need gravel....see where I'm going with this?
Looks like a cement mixer is going to be added to your tool kit! If your project goes like mine did you will have plenty of your own add on jobs long after the main contractor is gone. Best of luck in retirement.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I was shocked (shocked I say!) at the price of internet when I moved back. However, the dirty secret of Silicon Valley is just how shitty the internet is there due to corporate monopolies and civic corruption. I topped out at 40mbps (via microwave relay if you can believe) but now have 1.5gbps fibre to the house. It ain't cheap but it's faaaast. Luckily work pays for that and my mobile.
I doubt Nobby could get fibre to the house where he is.Unless one of the internet provider execs has a house nearby!

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL, 1999 c230
916 Posts

WTF is a gravel making machine? You mean a rock crusher?

121 - 140 of 185 Posts