Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

821 - 838 of 838 Posts

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
4,024 Posts
In Canadian cities like Vancouver or Toronto, you would be lucky to get a 1 room apartment for those prices.
Years ago I had an affiliate office in Toronto (I was in the software business). At the time the Canadian's living within 100 miles of the US boarder comprised something like 90% of the total population. Big business in Canada was about 1/10th the size of their US counterparts but the Canadian standard of living was more or less on par with their US neighbors to the south. What did it take to sustain that standard of living in a country that was 1/10th of the US in almost every way except landmass???? Taxes... lots and lots of taxes. I don't know if that's changed or not., perhaps our Canadian friends can comment.

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
539 Posts
I lived in California for 20 years before moving back to Canada. Taxes are higher, but not astronomically so. The effects of living in a small market (higher prices, less availability) are more pronounced, I think. I pay higher taxes, so less take-home money, but my quality of life is higher so I figure I've come out ahead in the bargain. What I have noticed (and what drove me to move back) is that people just seem more content here, even though they seem to have less. That's just one man's observations.

Canada's real estate bubble is pretty advanced, fueled by low interest rates (1.5% mortgage anyone?), population growth (both internal and immigration), and the concentration of the economy in a few key cities. Average residential price in my town (and this is a Tier 2 city; not Toronto/Vancouver) has gone from $425k to $775k in just 3 years. Mortgages are all ARM equivalents so things will not be pretty if rates go up.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,965 Posts
I don't think much has changed. Canada is rich in resources and a relatively wealthy country. It's a misconception that taxes are high. My wife and I both had an average tax rate this year of 12.9%. We also get healthcare and other social benefits that you may have to pay for in the USA, if you can afford them.

There are many countries in the world with economies and population 1/10 the size of the USA (or even less). Some of those arguably, may have equal, (or better) average living standards than those in the USA. A lot may depend on how living standards are defined.

While working, I spent quite a bit of time in the USA. Also have relatives there. In retirement, before Covid, we spent 25% of our time in the USA. So do know a bit about it. You do have better winter weather than us :)

Many years ago, I immigrated to Canada and happy that I did! We do enjoy visiting the USA.

Anyway, enough of that - getting off my soapbox :)

·
Registered
1979 450SL UK spec
2,256 Posts
Well I got a call today from the Real estate agent, the owner of the one with the vegatable plot accepeted an offer so its off the market. That is unusual for Scotland, what normally happens is, once you have viewed, you put in a "note of interest". Once the owner has 2 or more notes of interest, they go to a closing date/time, at which point it turns into a blind auction, you have one shot to put in your best offer and the owner chooses the one they prefer.

The agent told me that after being on the market for 7 says only, the owner was fed up with viewings and had seven notes of interest and instead accepted a verbal offer. Doing this means they left money on the table but then thats their perogative.

Anyway it went for more than £50,000 over the valuation.

I think we will need to offer at least £50k over the valuation to get the other one.

·
Registered
1979 450SL UK spec
2,256 Posts
Bad news, we didn't get the house, closing date was today, we offered £55k over the asking price subject to the sale of our house, but the sellers went with a lower offer from a cash buyer.

The ball is now rolling on the sale of our house, should be on the market by the weekend so a big life change on the way.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,965 Posts
Not to worry, there will always be another, perhaps better one. That happened to us years ago, and we ended up with an even better property. Still here after 40+ years!

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #827 ·
Week three of moving dirt, sand and gravel around my property. Starting to take shape.

·
31,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #829 ·
So....got my last delivery of dirt...... another 15 tons....which brings the grand total to 75 tons.
With a wheelbarrow and shovel.
Fucking retirement.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
6,236 Posts
That beer is well deserved. I wouldn't survive moving that much dirt around. Looks like a good toboggan slide for visiting toddlers in winter:)

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
1,438 Posts
You mean nobody told you retirement is more work than your career????? 🤣🤣🤣

·
31,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #834 ·

·
Registered
1987 300SL
1,101 Posts
Memories :rolleyes:
Previous house we built in the country on acreage had a 7 metre wide drive, about 50 metres long
Had 8 truck loads of salamander (fine crushed rock) dumped along the drive and me and the ol man got out there with shovels, rakes and a bit of naivety
Thankfully a council worker drove past and had pity on us
Came back with a grader
Half an hour later he was done!
Reckon we didn't load him up with slabs, fricken life saver
Don't know what I was thinking

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
3,030 Posts
Looking good there Chris, a fit king for the castle! :) And the shirt is awesome, I ought get myself one but then again it's another 31 years before I can wear it. o_O

821 - 838 of 838 Posts