Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

801 - 820 of 824 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #801 ·

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
6,148 Posts
Nobby, have you applied to get your Quebec licence plate with “schwein” on it? Quebec only started the personalized plates 2 years ago I believe. Maybe you’d have to get “cochon” (pig in French) to comply with Quebec language laws.
If they copy the pricing of our Queensland personalised plates dept they'll charge $2500 + for Schwein.:(

·
31,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #803 ·
If they copy the pricing of our Queensland personalised plates dept they'll charge $2500 + for Schwein.:(
I haven't looked into it yet. I spent $300+ in Ontario.....but in Ontario you need a plate front and back.

In Quebec you only need the back...leaving the front position open for any personalized plate I want.

So I can manufacture a plate with The PIG. :)

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
4,002 Posts
When I see pictures like that I'm reminded of what Richard Pryor once said... for every gorgeous sexy woman, there's at least one man who's tired of doing her. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
11,849 Posts
When I see pictures like that I'm reminded of what Richard Pryor once said... for every gorgeous sexy woman, there's at least one man who's tired of doing her. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't have mined if she tired me out.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,686 Posts
I know you are handy with the camera, but how did you take those pictures :)

Good Luck with your purchase. Over here real estate has gone crazy - offers come in well over already high asking prices.

·
Registered
1979 450SL UK spec
2,203 Posts
Google earth is better to get a 360deg overview than the real estate pics. Prices will go 10 to 15% over the valuation right now, Covid has really restricted supply.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,953 Posts
I know you are handy with the camera, but how did you take those pictures :)

Good Luck with your purchase. Over here real estate has gone crazy - offers come in well over already high asking prices.
Here in North Carolina real estate is hotter than I can ever remember.
We have what Real Estate Agents call an "Inventory Depleted" situation and they are spending their time coercing home owners to put their houses up for sale. Not me. A good friend put his house up for sale when this boom started thinking he would quickly find another better house but ended up living in an Apartment for 2 years with his wife giving him the old "I told you so" ragging.

Reactions: roncallo

·
Registered
1986 560SL
212 Posts
Good luck RD - nice lookin homes and location!
When we bought our home in Maine I didn’t have a garage - but I did have an awesome Carriage House (where horse and carriage were kept back in the day) - anyway the carriage house was on posts and starting to lean so we decided to raise it up about 3 feet and put in a full foundation which has a workshop and 2 car garage. We reinforced the flooring so I can also get 2 cars on the second floor from the front - this is a shot of the back ...

78F6FDC4-A5BD-4529-9504-22992BCDCDFA.jpeg

·
31,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #814 ·
Google earth is better to get a 360deg overview than the real estate pics. Prices will go 10 to 15% over the valuation right now, Covid has really restricted supply.
Good luck RD. Great time to sell.....only if you don't need something else...lol.

·
31,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #815 ·
Good luck RD - nice lookin homes and location!
When we bought our home in Maine I didn’t have a garage - but I did have an awesome Carriage House (where horse and carriage were kept back in the day) - anyway the carriage house was on posts and starting to lean so we decided to raise it up about 3 feet and put in a full foundation which has a workshop and 2 car garage. We reinforced the flooring so I can also get 2 cars on the second floor from the front - this is a shot of the back ...

View attachment 2690179
FOR THE WIN

·
31,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #816 ·
I am an idiot because I could have had 696 sq ft of storage / woodworking shop / kidnap room UNDER my garage floor.

It's just full of sand. LOTS of sand. Trucks and trucks full of sand. That cost could have been used to re-enforce the garage floor and install a man door on the bottom level.

I had the opportunity and didn't see it until it was WAY too late.

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
1,249 Posts
Over here real estate has gone crazy - offers come in well over already high asking prices.
In the US, too. We didn't even put our house on the market and sold it for $9k over asking price. Condos like mine (2nd floor) are going for the lower $220's and 1st floor are going for $250k& up. I was lucky--I got my condo for $9k UNDER asking because it was unlivable when I bought it. After making it livable, my agent says I could probably get $225k-$230k.
Good luck, RD. I hope you get the best one of the 2.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
212 Posts
I am an idiot because I could have had 696 sq ft of storage / woodworking shop / kidnap room UNDER my garage floor.

It's just full of sand. LOTS of sand. Trucks and trucks full of sand. That cost could have been used to re-enforce the garage floor and install a man door on the bottom level.

I had the opportunity and didn't see it until it was WAY too late.
When we first went to repair the carriage house I didn’t see it either - we hired a civil engineer to design a new post/foundation system - then my contractor came in and said “and I quote “for not much more money, why not raise it an additional 3 feet and put a two car garage underneath“. He was the genius!

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
In the US, too. We didn't even put our house on the market and sold it for $9k over asking price. Condos like mine (2nd floor) are going for the lower $220's and 1st floor are going for $250k& up. I was lucky--I got my condo for $9k UNDER asking because it was unlivable when I bought it. After making it livable, my agent says I could probably get $225k-$230k.
Good luck, RD. I hope you get the best one of the 2.
In Canadian cities like Vancouver or Toronto, you would be lucky to get a 1 room apartment for those prices.

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
When we first went to repair the carriage house I didn’t see it either - we hired a civil engineer to design a new post/foundation system - then my contractor came in and said “and I quote “for not much more money, why not raise it an additional 3 feet and put a two car garage underneath“. He was the genius!
Great idea!

My architect daughter told me she once did an upgrade to an old home. It had a single attached garage. They added a loft above the garage plus a 4 post lift that could raise one car (his special car!) to the upper level. The daily driver parked below. On the upper level there was a mancave, likely with billiard table, bar etc - a place to have the boys over to admire his car! I never saw it, but would like to have!

801 - 820 of 824 Posts