Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

381 - 390 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 1975 280C
154 Posts
I just moved last year from Pigs, Goats,& Elephants (PG&E) to Idaho. The solar companies don't even try to sell up here because the costs are so low. My electric bill is usually about $38, and natural gas is about $32. In Aptos, CA it was about $95 per month for both, unless I was welding and then.....

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,011 Posts
I just moved last year from Pigs, Goats,& Elephants (PG&E) to Idaho. The solar companies don't even try to sell up here because the costs are so low. My electric bill is usually about $38, and natural gas is about $32. In Aptos, CA it was about $95 per month for both, unless I was welding and then.....
What? $70 bucks a month for gas and electric? Sign me up.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,942 Posts
Here in North Carolina where I live its approximately $0.10/kwh.
Apparently Duke Power offers a very attractive rate in western N.C.
In fact so low that Google and Apple have built Data Centers in that area.
Data Centers are power intensive.
From what I read, the reason electricity is so low there is not because of solar or dam generators, instead
its because there are existing coal powered plants with direct rail lines to coal mines in West Virginia.
So we get the pollution, but Data Centers don't really hire many people and the higher paid ones are
those with skills in System Administration, and probably not many of those. Probably to keep costs
even lower, they employ skilled folks in India to watch and administer their servers. Still there are low
skilled openings like security, mowing the grounds, sweeping floors, etc.
I don't think those Data Centers are a boom for the local area.
They might be helpful for the local governments to tax the property - that
is if they didn't give it all away as "incentives" to attract them here.

Reactions: mrelbe

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
Or less executive bonuses and more maintenance. The tower they traced the source too (insulator failure)
hadn't been looked at in years.
Didn't realize there was some hinkey business going on.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 1975 280C
154 Posts
Yeah, a lot of the fires in California can be traced to PG&E NOT doing maintenance! My sister almost lost her house in the Auburn, CA fire a few years ago, caused by power lines sparking in the wind! I think they should take everyone who was in the executive offices and put them in prison for murder in the Paradise fire.

381 - 390 of 390 Posts