Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

361 - 380 of 390 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Lol, wasn't sure if earth will be moved back onto those walls or if they are just supporting
Majority of our domestic housing is floating slab these days, brick veneer on top of that
Finding your construction interestingly different
Ah. I get your inquiry, now.
MOST Canadian built house have basements....there are exceptions, of course, based on geographical location.

Funny enough....the garage foundation walls WILL be retaining quite a bit of fill (about 7ft worth) prior to the concrete slab being poured.

Most Canadian construction has to take into consideration:

Big temperature swings between seasons: Currently 33C at the property....was -33C last January
Snow loads: Only 6ft of snow last winter....winter 2019 had 8 ft.
Water diversion.....basements that house furnaces, hotwater tanks etc are below grade....French drains and sump pumps required

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,942 Posts
What do you heat and cool your houses up in Canada where it can get really cold.
Here in North Carolina I have all electric Heat Pumps for heating and cooling.
Last year total electrical bill was $2,179 or 22,140 kwh.
Certainly it doesn't get as cold but it does get hot in the summer.

·
29,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
Depends.
My first house in Quebec in the 90s heated with oil. Where I live now natural gas is available and cheap and that's what most people use.
Get into the boonies, little oil, some wood / oil combo furnaces, some geothermal but mostly electricity.
In Quebec...electricity is cheap...because it produces electricity cheap and too much of it.
I will be going with an electric forced air furnace coupled with a heat pump.
I will have a wood fireplace that COULD technically tide us over in a power failure.
Propane cooking range...that will also work in the event of a power failure.
The rest I can run on a generator.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,086 Posts
What do you heat and cool your houses up in Canada where it can get really cold.
Here in North Carolina I have all electric Heat Pumps for heating and cooling.
Last year total electrical bill was $2,179 or 22,140 kwh.
Certainly it doesn't get as cold but it does get hot in the summer.
My 2 storey house was built when electricity was cheap and the heating is electric baseboard. I also have a zero clearance natural gas fireplace in the family room. Electric bill was $ 2,700 last season ( $ 700 of that was charging the Tesla ) and $ 970 for gas ( includes fireplace, cooking, hot water tank ).

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,013 Posts
My 2 storey house was built when electricity was cheap and the heating is electric baseboard. I also have a zero clearance natural gas fireplace in the family room. Electric bill was $ 2,700 last season ( $ 700 of that was charging the Tesla ) and $ 970 for gas ( includes fireplace, cooking, hot water tank ).
My electric bill alone last year was $4200, and I don't have electric heat or a Tesla. What I do have is a huge bill for the Shoreham Power Plant to pay. First to build it, and then to demolish it.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,942 Posts
My electric bill alone last year was $4200, and I don't have electric heat or a Tesla. What I do have is a huge bill for the Shoreham Power Plant to pay. First to build it, and then to demolish it.
I bought some Long Island Lighting (LIL) back during the Shoreham Power Plant controversy.
It paid a huge dividend, I had a big capital gain ... and then ... pop ... the New York governor unexpectedly
charged LIL management with racketeering and the stock went South in a hurry. Couldn't get out of
that position because I was at a Sun Microsystems user conference in Miami Beach.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,013 Posts
I bought some Long Island Lighting (LIL) back during the Shoreham Power Plant controversy.
It paid a huge dividend, I had a big capital gain ... and then ... pop ... the New York governor unexpectedly
charged LIL management with racketeering and the stock went South in a hurry. Couldn't get out of
that position because I was at a Sun Microsystems user conference in Miami Beach.
What ever happened to Sun Microsystems? There was a time when Sun was the goto platform for servers but for some reason they went the way of the Dodo bird.

·
29,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #368

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,411 Posts
When I lived there I was trying to convince my dad to put a giant windmill up. And now that everyone is talking about Nukes as the green solution they may try to build another one. :)

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,411 Posts
Hopefully I'll be living Georgia by that time.
It's not just here, I had some in laws in Italy. Every time someone found some sunken Roman ship in the Mediterranean there was question about should the government perform a salvage operation. My in laws were talking about a Roman ship discovered with casks of wine on board. He said every time they find one of these ships his taxes would go up to fund the recovery operation. He said, "They are not going to share the wine with me so leave it their.

I remember going to public hearings for Grumman, who wanted to build there own Co-Generation plant because Lilco at the time now Lipa was too expensive. Problem was that Grumman was such a huge customer that Lilco would loose revenue and that loss would have to be passed on to LI residents. In the end Grumman got to build their plant.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
What ever happened to Sun Microsystems? There was a time when Sun was the goto platform for servers but for some reason they went the way of the Dodo bird.
Sun Microsystems was indeed a high flyer.
Their Bill Gates mascot equivalent was a guy named Bill Joy.
I designed software systems that used Sun Servers - the 386i
that actually used Intel 386 processors rather than Suns RISC processors.
Very slow cpus by todays standards. Imagine what we will have in the next 10 years?

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
338 Posts
They were the Cadillac of server infrastructure but the increasing sophistication of free Linux, and the commoditization of hardware killed their advantages. And companies who specialized in Linux & commoditized hardware are now killed by the IAAS providers like Amazon AWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,013 Posts
It's not just here, I had some in laws in Italy. Every time someone found some sunken Roman ship in the Mediterranean there was question about should the government perform a salvage operation. My in laws were talking about a Roman ship discovered with casks of wine on board. He said every time they find one of these ships his taxes would go up to fund the recovery operation. He said, "They are not going to share the wine with me so leave it their.

I remember going to public hearings for Grumman, who wanted to build there own Co-Generation plant because Lilco at the time now Lipa was too expensive. Problem was that Grumman was such a huge customer that Lilco would loose revenue and that loss would have to be passed on to LI residents. In the end Grumman got to build their plant.
LIPA is long gone... it's now PSE&G.

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,340 Posts
Our local utility, PG&E, has just proven you can kill people (85, Paradise Fire) and get away with it. $2.3 million fine,
nobody jailed.

·
29,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
Our local utility, PG&E, has just proven you can kill people (85, Paradise Fire) and get away with it. $2.3 million fine,
nobody jailed.
I guess the alternative is no POWER LINES.

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
548 Posts
LOL. It started 3 weeks ago. 6 days of excavation / dynamite alone.
Should be commissioned by Sept. 30. Fingers crossed.
The truss company is 8 weeks behind because they had a COVID outbreak....they are saying delivery Sept 1.
Looking for alternatives.
Hope you can find one. It's not their fault, but waiting 2 months isn't going to help you

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
548 Posts
LIPA turned out to be a joke (on us). I remember the big PR blitz about lowering rates by conserving electricity. When we did, they tacked on a "low usage" surcharge.

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
338 Posts

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,013 Posts
LIPA turned out to be a joke (on us). I remember the big PR blitz about lowering rates by conserving electricity. When we did, they tacked on a "low usage" surcharge.
Yup. My Mother-In-Law owns a small campsite in Adirondacks, her power comes from Niagara Mohawk a.k.a. NiMo. She pays something like $.04 per kilowatt hour, down here on L.I. we pay at least $.21 per kilowatt hour... 5 times as much for each kilowatt hour. I long for the day I say goodbye to this formerly great place to live and swap it for a place where the weather suits my closes... or lack thereof.

361 - 380 of 390 Posts