Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here it is... after numerous issues of boost leaks, spliting the rubber hoses etc i changed the lot... there is no way you can maintain a good seal under CONSTANT wide open throttle with big boost. the original maf rellocation kit just chops the plastic pipe... 1) its not flared so it wont seal correctly 2) cant tighten clamps correctly as its plastic..

parts

x6 T-Bolt clamps (painted them black so they dont stand out)
x3 2.75" sillicone "hump" couplers
x1 90 degree 2.75" mandrel bent aluminum pipe approx 9-9.5" tall and 16" long
x1 intercooler coupler (this i kept from the orginal kit) not sure if you can get this sep from MB?

pics attached... this AINT COMING LOOSE! :D

Attachments

·
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh forgot to add... after moving the maf around etc, or even slightly rotating it, you need to reset the ECU otherwise it will idle funny and run rough as its calibration and adaption settings will not match up to its new orientation...

disconnect the -ve batt terminal for 30-60min and then re-start car

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good job!
How many cm is the inner diameter of the pipe?
Also, are there any temperature issues of the pipe itself? I think its important since it carries cold air from the i/c. May be a silicone pipe would keep less temperature from the engine than an aluminum.

·
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
inner dia approx 66mm...

ive been running this for few days now with no dramas pipe doesnt get hot, can touch it with hands and hold it no problems.

the air travels so fast through the pipe its not long enough in there to even alter the temperature of the airflow

·
Registered
35 Posts
A german site have a complet pipe with a built in MAF holder for relocation. EU: 169:- ACCPralle - ACC-Rohr II

·
Registered
35 Posts
I dont think that pipe will work due to the angle used
Seams like it is specially made for the Pre-Face SLK

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
That is incorrect, I have a pre-facelift SLK. The Post-facelift SLK does not even need a relocation pipe.

I have extensive work with the intakes on the SLK, and I can assure you, that the angle shown in that picture will not fit real well. It needs closer to 90-100 degrees of bend.

·
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeh gakz is right that angle doesnt seem right :confused: 90-100deg is about right + silicone fittings to allow for motor flex

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeh gakz is right that angle doesnt seem right :confused: 90-100deg is about right + silicone fittings to allow for motor flex
The original only has 1 silicon fitting, but your right about the angle, I'll have to send them a e-mail and ask about that.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
what about insulating the pipe - might not look as "nice" but prevent heat from a hot motor being absorbed.....
Sweet job Sub - you done your normal leak test - bet she doesnt leak even at 13psi...!
Joakimmuth - dont re-invent the wheel....just find out Sub's suppliers and do da business.....might cost you xtra post (if its from Oz) but hey - jobs done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
what about insulating the pipe - might not look as "nice" but prevent heat from a hot motor being absorbed.....
Sweet job Sub - you done your normal leak test - bet she doesnt leak even at 13psi...!
Joakimmuth - dont re-invent the wheel....just find out Sub's suppliers and do da business.....might cost you xtra post (if its from Oz) but hey - jobs done.
I'm not reinventing anything, it is sold and used in Germany.
MBSLK.de - The SLK-Community - Die MBSLK.de-Foren - ACC-Ansaugrohr in anderer Optik

·
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
try google translate (doesnt help much but get an idea)

Google Translate

wouldnt this pipe remove all MAF meshes and cause issues with reading the air? i did remove the fine mesh from my MAF but kept the larger plastic for laminar air flow past the sensor

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
With my entire intake system re-done in aluminum pipes, I dont really have a problem with heat soak, there is plenty of airflow.

Also, I've looked at the pictures on that forum you posted. The pipe does appear to be the same as the one you posted, BUT the bend is at that rubber vibration coupling and that is very bad. You do not want a bend in the pipe at a spot like that to disturb airflow that badly.

Something similar to mine would work better:

Mind you that pic above is old and it has been tweaked slightly. You can make it even better if you make the bend not as sharp.

In regards to what you said Subby about the mesh, I dont believe the mesh affects anything, mine is removed and has been pretty good with no issues

·
Registered
16 Posts
With my entire intake system re-done in aluminum pipes, I dont really have a problem with heat soak, there is plenty of airflow.

Also, I've looked at the pictures on that forum you posted. The pipe does appear to be the same as the one you posted, BUT the bend is at that rubber vibration coupling and that is very bad. You do not want a bend in the pipe at a spot like that to disturb airflow that badly.

Something similar to mine would work better:

Mind you that pic above is old and it has been tweaked slightly. You can make it even better if you make the bend not as sharp.

In regards to what you said Subby about the mesh, I dont believe the mesh affects anything, mine is removed and has been pretty good with no issues
I got a 99 slk 230 so what sort of pipe do I need to get in order to relocate the maf. just like the picture that you have any part number?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts