Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300SEL W126
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Amazing. That must've cost a mint and I'd have been so excited to get all those lovely MB packages.
I bought every thing from UK and Germany, they dealership here asked for $3000 for the fuel tank without shipping, i bought it brand new from germany for $375 !! i will share my numbers with you, nothing to hide.

The fuel lines+fuel pump+accumulator+cooper washer (rear end) $502
Gas tank $375
Gas cap $13
Fuel sender + seal $154
Fuel distributor rebuild kit $112
Fuel lines with clamps for the engine $30
non resistor spark plugs $30

will go through the car to address the condition the other parts, no major issues as the engine is running, like transmission lines+filter+oil + diff. oil ... etc

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,961 Posts
Ah, okay, my bad, the area I thought was the cam itself (looking on my phone) was the casting, no big deal. This worries me though:

Might just be oil deposits, might be scoring or galling due to inadequate oil or maybe just old age? I can't see the cams themselves, obviously, but I would check it out. The cams you have won't last long if they're not getting adequate oil and / or they've worn through the case hardening to the unhardened steel beneath (BTDT - admittedly on a 70s OPEL, but...)

·
Registered
1988 300SEL W126
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ah, okay, my bad, the area I thought was the cam itself (looking on my phone) was the casting, no big deal. This worries me though:
View attachment 2613614

Might just be oil deposits, might be scoring or galling due to inadequate oil or maybe just old age? I can't see the cams themselves, obviously, but I would check it out. The cams you have won't last long if they're not getting adequate oil and / or they've worn through the case hardening to the unhardened steel beneath (BTDT - admittedly on a 70s OPEL, but...)
the cams are much cleaner right now after running the engine for 1 hours, the oil that was in there is so dark.

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,961 Posts
Good, just keep an eye on it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts