Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies and gents im the new kid on the block. I look foward to many good topics here at the Benz Forums. I have a little problem with my 2006 ML500. In the back where the first aid kit is kept along with the Bass speaker there always is a rattling noise. We took the SUV to the benz dealership and they replaced the Bass and said that it's not the problem. SO what could it be? Could it be the cover that well..covers the Bss and first aid kit? Also when switiching the Gears from D to R or whatever, the engine makes a noise (tranny). The mechanic said its the electrical motor? The one that changes the gears. I look foward to you replies. Thank you for the help guys i truly appriciate it :D

·
Registered
2006 ML350
615 Posts
Welcome and congratulations!

Cant help you with the first..try to isolate the sound

The noise while changing from R to D and vice versa is normal. All new ML owners hear it and freak...but its normal

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Did you look for anything loose? Check the tire well too.

I also freaked out when I heard that "noise" when changing gears; I even brought it back to the dealer - this is normal according to MBz and as per BigKutta

·
Registered
2007 Alpine Rain/Ash ML320 CDI
300 Posts
Check your rear shocks for leaks. If they have an oily mist on them they are bad and could be the cause of your noise. These shocks appear to have a high rate of failure.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Yes, the noise is normal as the gears are changed with a solinoid and thats what you hear. As for the rattle, check the spare tire compartment and see if anything is loose.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Yeah the first time I heard that tranny noise, I thought something was wrong too. Still sounds that way today, with no problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thanks for the replies guys! Thank god, i was worried about that tranny noise. I checked the spare tire compartment and everything is well in place. The rear shocks have a high rate of failure?? I never heard of that..strange. Also I found the prop to the rattling. The cover that cover the Bass in the back is loose a bit from the bottom left. I'll shove some cardboard in there so it dosent move around LOL.

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes-Benz ML320 CDI Sport - Fully Loaded!
46 Posts
What does the actual transmission sound like when it changes, am I going to frighten the crap out of the neighbours?

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
What does the actual transmission sound like when it changes, am I going to frighten the crap out of the neighbours?
They won't hear it unless they are sleeping on top of your car. It's kind of a grinding/snicking noise.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
..sounds like .."creeek" :)

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
..sounds like .."creeek" :)
Not exactly the sound of fine machinery in action....

But mine hasn't broken yet, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh yes I have heard that noise before from my Auntie's ML, I thought it sounded like the noise that comes from a remote control car when you drive it.

Has anyone tried pushing the gear selector to the resitance point (which selects N) then pushing it all the way past the resitance point to select R or D?

·
Registered
46 Posts
OK, I've had my ML for a couple of weeks now and I've noticed there are no noises made when you use the direct-shift lever...weird!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
OK, I've had my ML for a couple of weeks now and I've noticed there are no noises made when you use the direct-shift lever...weird!
Now that's weird, all the MLs that I know produce the same "creeking" sound when shifting. Try asking someone to listen outside the ML while you shift to park. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Now that's weird, all the MLs that I know produce the same "creeking" sound when shifting. Try asking someone to listen outside the ML while you shift to park. :)
Will do! - the reason I might not be able to hear it inside the car is because an audible 'bing' is sounded when I press the Park button.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do! - the reason I might not be able to hear it inside the car is because an audible 'bing' is sounded when I press the Park button.
Well, it should not matter, even if you hear the ping from when you place it into park. You should hear it when you put it into R, or D as well.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
You can easily hear it in a quiet garage with drivers door open.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts