Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 500sl, 1986 Corvette Convertible INDY 500
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I'm Titalwaves...
Since I am the new kid n the block guess I should introduce myself. I am a 24year old individual from Atlanta, GA but reside in Columbia, SC. I have own several MB's, my first at age 17. I just recently purchased a Red/ Tan 1991 Mercedes Benz 500SL last Friday.

I plan to add:
Clear Corners
Projector Headlights
Clear/Red Taillights
Chrome Grille
Body Kit & Rear Spoiler

I plan to post pics later...Anyway, I hope to learn more about my new toy by participating in discussions on this board. If you have any info. on the above parts I've listed please don't be a stranger...

·
Registered
1997 MB SL500 -40th Anniversary Edition........2004 E500
61 Posts
:thumbsup:Welcome to the site.
As always we all look forward to pics of mods made by anyone who has the balls to do it LOL. I say that cus it is not for the faint of heart to make changes. I am one of them.
But LOVE to see the outcome of someones customization,it gives me ideas that I would not ordinarily think of doing. So, rock on and make sure to post pics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to rattle a lot of cages around here, as I did with installing vertical doors on my 1986 Convertible Corvette...I have a question though, what year SL were those switchblade type of keys first used? Here's an example:

The previous owner of my car gave me two "regular" keys: 1 door & 1 ignition. This is the reason why I ask

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the welcome. I figured those keys must have came with every SL (89-02) What I am trying to figure out is how can I get a replacement? I understand I can order a switchblade key from Ebay w/ the Box casing but it doesn't include the "brains" inside to actually unlock the doors with the push of a button. What should I do?

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
Chances that you can get a real key at your dealer or less than $200. Buying keys from ebay will more likely not working (been there done that a decade ago). You can buy the "brain" and sync with your car to lock/unlock but it will not start. It seems like the R129s don't like aftermarket stuff.

Welcome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...Right now I have a door key & a ignition key nub. (the plastic on the key head is pretty much down to the metal) I understand that the switchblade box is meant to unlock and lock doors electronically, not start the car. If you are able to post the sticky please do...I would like to have this taken car of at least by next weekend.

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 - 1994 SL600
935 Posts
FYI, I bought one off eBay and never could get it to sync. I went to the dealer with my title and drivers licence and they ordered it for me. I had some difficulty getting it to sync but they got someone to come out and sync it for me. I asked him how he did it (took him several tries) and he told me he wasn't sure, it just started working.
Doug

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ebay is filled with shady products, thanks for saving me the headache Doug...How much did this cost you at the dealership if you don't mind me asking?

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I plan to rattle a lot of cages around here, as I did with installing vertical doors on my 1986 Convertible Corvette...I have a question though, what year SL were those switchblade type of keys first used? Here's an example:

The previous owner of my car gave me two "regular" keys: 1 door & 1 ignition. This is the reason why I ask
There are two kinds.
First generation, has a WIDE blade.

The one in your picture is the one with the THIN blade.

Don't remember the braking point.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does this make a difference in pricing at the dealership? I have the thin slim key blade...I just wanted to make sure that every SL came equiped from the dealership with the remote lock/unlock feature. I was thinking because mines came with just two keys & no remote that it was'nt suppose to have the switchblade remote feature...

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
well in 1995 my SL500 had 5 keys,
2 flip/switchbald keys
1 master key
1 valet key
1 flat key

try looking in your instruction book. mine tells me, and shows me a picture of all the keys it comes with.

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 - 1994 SL600
935 Posts
well in 1995 my SL500 had 5 keys,
2 flip/switchbald keys
1 master key
1 valet key
1 flat key

try looking in your instruction book. mine tells me, and shows me a picture of all the keys it comes with.
That's what my book says as well. When I got my car it only had the flip key so I went to the dealer and ordered another flip key, a master key and a flat key. I don't need a valet key. As it turns out the flat key is the same as a master key with the plastic cut off. When the keys came in, the flat key that was ordered came in as the metallic key that goes into the flip key. So they ordered me another master key and I cut the plastic off.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,424 Posts
Hey Tital! Where are the promised photos...of your car?? We all like to look at the photos!

And welcome to the group!

·
Registered
1998 SL500, Panoramic Roof, Factory Xenons, Black/Black/Black 2012 GLK350 Black/Beige
126 Posts
Tital,

If you are from Atlanta, try MB South Atlanta for pricing on your key. They give a good discount on parts for "classic" MBs. I have found their parts pricing better than most of the on-line sources 80% of the time. And let's see some photos.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These are pics that the previous owner sent me prior to me buying it. The carpet is soiled with stains. The wood work on the door is ruined. The car needs certain odds and in's. Definitely a work in progress but with the right attention can be brought back to life...Has 3 chrome AMG rims. I hope to be able to find a "4th" one online.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts