Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 E320 4Matic (Sold) 2002 E320 4Matic (Sold) 1997 Infinity QX 4 SUV 4x4 (Survival vehicle)
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called the dealer about getting an additional key. (Not a replacement.)

Their procedure is to come in person, fill out paperwork, pay, and they will order the key. This all makes sense.

When the key arrives, make an appointment for programming, come in person again and get the key programmed, pay for that, and fill out final paperwork.?

I thought that if you went in person with your car and key that they could read your existing key so when the new one arrives it will work right out the box. Obviously proof of ownership etc is done at this time.

Costs: $250 for key, which includes the slide out key.(Chrome and black)
$30 for programming.
240 miles of driving to get it all done. (2x 120 miles)

Is this normal.?
$250 all in, sounds about right.
Just don't get the make an appointment, and programming part.?:confused:

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,823 Posts
Customer service varies by dealer as we carbon units (people) are involved. My dealer here in Phoenix (Phoenix Motor Company) is great and has always been fair with me. Cost is about the same, except they do not charge a programming fee.

After I ordered my key, providing proof of ownership, it was 2 days wait. When I picked up the key, the awesome parts person walked out the car with me, pushed the button on the key and we were done. No additional programming needed and it has worked perfectly for 2+years.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,999 Posts
Call MBUSA and report that they want to charge you for programming at the dealer, when cost of programming is included in the key price and is done by the manufacturer, or assembler.
I paid $180 retail almost year ago. If you have records at the dealer, they can order the key over the phone and you have to show with the papers only for pickup.

·
Premium Member
1999 E320 4Matic (Sold) 2002 E320 4Matic (Sold) 1997 Infinity QX 4 SUV 4x4 (Survival vehicle)
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Call MBUSA and report that they want to charge you for programming at the dealer, when cost of programming is included in the key price and is done by the manufacturer, or assembler.
I paid $180 retail almost year ago. If you have records at the dealer, they can order the key over the phone and you have to show with the papers only for pickup.
That"s what I thought.
I also thought that the key was VIN specific.
Appointment, and programming at the dealer sounds fishy.!!!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Well, you do have to go twice, although if you have an established relationship with a dealer they may as an accommodation order it for you based upon a request (usually through your SA) and you do have to pay for it when ordered.

Then you only need make one trip to the dealer to pick it up, and they confirm/verify ownership before handing it over to you.

Absent that established relationship yes, you have to go in person twice, once to order it and pay for it (after showing ID and proof of ownership) and then the second time to pick it up.

However, whether one trip or two, an additional key comes ALREADY programmed. All the dealer needs to do is hand it over. This one is just one of those ripoff places.

Good luck.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
I too thought the same, and so I went to my favorite dealer who gives me a deal, and I adjusted my schedule because I thought THEY needed the car...Well it was all a fallacy.

They keys come from Texas, and my Chrome replacement did not come with the feature of press open once. It opens the driver's door. Press open again and it opens all the doors including the hatch. The chrome key came with a trunk button it does not apply to my e320 as my original remote does not have a trunk button. The new trunk button does nothing..Now I press unlock and everything unlocks

I cannot complain as I paid $167 out the door for the chrome key, blade key and taxes.

All the dealer needed was a photo copy of my license and a photo copy of my registration...

It took a week due to the heavy rains in the Texas and Colorado area about three weeks ago..

Martin

·
Premium Member
2015 ML250 Bluetec and 1987 560SL
3,584 Posts
I live 125 miles away from the dealer, too. I called them and told them that I really didn't want to have to drive up there twice. Of the three dealers I called, one wanted to see me twice, one wanted me to come up there to order the key and they'd ship it, and the third let me order (and pay for) the key on the phone and then I had to go get it. The third one got my business.

Moral: call around.

my Chrome replacement did not come with the feature of press open once. It opens the driver's door. Press open again and it opens all the doors including the hatch. The chrome key came with a trunk button it does not apply to my e320 as my original remote does not have a trunk button. The new trunk button does nothing..Now I press unlock and everything unlocks
The press once to unlock everything is programmable. Hold the lock and unlock buttons together for five seconds. The light will blink twice, and that mode will be enabled.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I cannot complain as I paid $167 out the door for the chrome key, blade key and taxes.

Martin
Wow, Martin, who is your dealer? That's the best price I've heard yet.

I don't get over Folsom way as much as I used to, but I may have to think about driving on an upcoming vacation and routing through there both ways, once to order it and then to pick it up on the return.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
I cannot PM you, so do not get know...

Martin

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on new key

Today at the dealer I purchased new keys:

211 766 77 06 Key $181.90
203 766 50 06 Key $19.80
Total: $218.24

Keys will be available in a couple of days.
Had to make an appointment with the service department to have the remote key synced to my car.

Blade key is VIN specific and on arrival will unlock car and open truck etc.

Remote key will NOT work on arrival and will NOT unlock or start the car.

They want my car, and are going to charge 0.5 hrs labor, $50 to sync the key.

Service manager told me that they can sync up to 8 keys per car.

Bottom line is.:
If you want a shiny new chrome key, and a new slide out blade key, and you live in WA state, be prepared to cough up $268.24

"Dealer is a gold mine." They get the gold, and I get the shaft.:eek:

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,999 Posts
If your knob require synchronization with the car, you will be the first one on the planet to have it done, but maybe not the first one who got charged for it.
I still would call MBUSA.

·
Premium Member
2015 ML250 Bluetec and 1987 560SL
3,584 Posts
You do not need them to sync the key to the car. You can do it yourself. Until it's done, the remote key won't unlock the doors, but it will start the car just fine.

Here's how you sync it:

Open the car with another key. (Or the new blade.)
Stick the new key in the ignition.
Wait 30 seconds.

Done.

The dealer I got my key from told me this, so it's not like it's a big secret.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
If your knob require synchronization with the car, you will be the first one on the planet to have it done, but maybe not the first one who got charged for it.
If ordered as a replacement key, my understanding is that they do have to plug in SDS to disable the old key; you also have to bring your other key(s) so they don't disable the wrong one.

lupoelsker, assuming you ordered an additional key, then were I you I would ask to watch the procedure. ;)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I paid $162 before taxes, so seems this is honest price. I was at Fairfield dealer,
Did that include the cut key too? I thought you paid about $187 or something for both.

I cannot PM you, so do not get know...

Martin
They're generally full, but thanks anyway. ;)

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I already called MBUSA and they confirmed the procedure.

It is right on their website. See my post #5

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You do not need them to sync the key to the car. You can do it yourself. Until it's done, the remote key won't unlock the doors, but it will start the car just fine.

Here's how you sync it:

Wait 30 seconds.

Done.

Thanks for that information.

It apparently is a big secret, as they want to charge me $50, AND they want me personally, plus the car.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If ordered as a replacement key, my understanding is that they do have to plug in SDS to disable the old key; you also have to bring your other key(s) so they don't disable the wrong one.

lupoelsker, assuming you ordered an additional key, then were I you I would ask to watch the procedure. ;)
This is an additional key.

I asked them if I could watch them do it.

Permission denied.!!!! No one is allowed in the workshop.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Here's how you sync it:

Wait 30 seconds.

Done.

This information is critical, and I am sure most dealers would not be happy you have it.

I think that your procedure belongs in the stickies, as it could save other owners $50 at least.

Raymond,
Maybe it is time to update the buying of new keys in the stickies.
This is 2013 (Today) information, and it is what other owners are going to run into. IMHO of course.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts